The Brisbane Ruby and Rails Message Board › Trouble with Ruby on Rails on SUSE 10 Linux

Trouble with Ruby on Rails on SUSE 10 Linux

A former member
Post #: 4
Has anyone set up Ruby on Rails on Linux? I am using SUSE 10. I downloaded the ruby 1.8.5 source code and compiled and installed it. Ruby runs fine (I can run my unit tests). I also downloaded the rubygems 0.9.0 source code and compiled and installed that. I was able to download rails using the rubygems command:

gem install -v=1.1.4 rails --include-dependencies

And it ran properly, but when I tried to run my rails server (created previously on my windows box using rails 1.1.4), ruby tells me that it can't find Rails 1.1.4!

Cannot find gem for Rails =1.1.4:
Install the missing gem with 'gem install -v=1.1.4 rails', or
change environment.rb to define RAILS_GEM_VERSION with your desired version.

Should I upgrade my rails to the latest version perhaps? I can copy the scripts & config across, but it is a bit strange that rails is not starting...
A former member
Post #: 15
Hi Steve,

Good post but unfortunately I use Gentoo as my server of choice as does another member, Ben Myles. If you are not locked into using SUSE, perhaps you might think about giving Gentoo a go.

Else, visit the SUSE IRC page or SUSE Forums.

Hope this helps, Ben.
Danny M.
user 3024730
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 3
Steven,

Check to make sure your environment.rb doesn't have any absolute paths that do not match your linux servers environment.

Also check the hashbang lines in dispatch.fcgi and dispatch.rb to make sure they point to the correct Ruby path, the hashbang lines are the first lines in the file and look like #!/opt/local/bin/ruby.

Hope this helps Danny
Danny M.
user 3024730
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 4
Steve, a quick test you can do to attain whether it is your rails/ruby install or your windows rails app config that is the problem is to create a new rails app on your Linux box.

Just run "rails myapp" and if myapp is created fine then your ruby environment is seeing the rails gem. You can take it one step further and run the server for the new app. If all is ok then move onto troubleshooting the config as mentioned above of your copied windows rails app.

Danny
A former member
Post #: 5
I got Ruby & Rails working on Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper). I uncommented the 'universe' urls in /etc/apt/sources.list, and ran the following commands. This installed Ruby 1.8.4.

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get ruby rdoc ri

Then I downloaded, extracted and installed rubygems:

$ cd /tmp
$ wget http://rubyforge.org/...­
$ tar xfz rubygems-0.9.0.tgz
$ cd rubygems-0.9.0
$ sudo ruby setup.rb

Finally, I installed rails version 1.1.4 (which I developed my original rails app in):

$ sudo gem install -v=1.1.4 rails --include-dependencies

Now I can create new apps and run my existing app :-)