addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Brisbane Atheists Message Board Atheist related links › GREATEST THEORIES OF SCIENCE

GREATEST THEORIES OF SCIENCE

A former member
Post #: 304
I suggest for self education to post here some useful links to scientific theories.
I would like to start with a "germ theory".
The fact that many diseases are produced by microscopic organisms used to be a very controversial theory.
Condemned by the church, of course.
(Washing hands often is not enough to stop contamination. Kosher laws, such as not eating pork, don't make sense)

19 Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name.
Mean, mean god forgot to tell the man about germs.
28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.

What a hyppocrite this god is! It looks like he gave the dominion to the germs.

This a calendar of the progress of this theory
http://germtheorycale...­
Link to wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.o...­

Interesting link http://wordinfo.info/...­
"Early Christian leaders condemned bathing as unspiritual"
Gringo
user 12675733
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 29
Ohh so many,

I think one that fascinates me is the Kepler/Brahe work that led Keppler to the discovery that the planets travel in elliptical orbits around the sun. The pages and pages of mathematics that keppler did and the years of nightly observations made by Tyco Brahe are truly astounding.

Galileo shopping list, is another great story, which is linked to the Brahe/Kepler findings. Apparently it is a list of things that Galileo purchased on one fateful day, the day that he built his own version of the dutch looking glass. This was monumental at the time because it allowed the Venetians to spot approaching ships 2 hours earlier than with the human eye. Another plus was that with it, Galileo managed to prove that the earth was not the center of the universe by showing the moons of Jupiter orbiting the distant planet.
Anyway, on the list are such items as a cannonball, which seems odd but apparently he used this cannonball as a grinding stone to shape the glass lens of his telescope. He was later able to perfect his lenses further by selecting different sized cannon balls. The significance to the Brahe/Kepler discovery is that their work only became acknowledged fully after Galileo managed to show his moons of Jupiter.

I'm just writing as I think, so apologies for any mistakes I've made but at least you get the idea.

I think I prefer the older discoveries because they seem so much grander, and the scientists were faced with so many difficulties.
Heraklitus
user 5709480
Newcastle, AU
Post #: 768
The Kepler/Brake work is fascinating. I came to hear about it on the Astronomy 161 podcase series via iTunes but the link above is even better. H
Gringo
user 12675733
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 32
Great link Herk!!
Cheers.
Heraklitus
user 5709480
Newcastle, AU
Post #: 769
Craig, and others: if you're interested in matters astronomical another good site is Astronomy Cast
The podcase series, which can be subscribed to in iTunes is excellent. You can also, from the link above, get to the podcast items - and also pictures and extra stuff. H

EDIT: Clicking <Archive> in the top-most menu (on the black bit) will take to the list of every single podcast.
A former member
Post #: 310
There is so much going on in that "firmament" above us!