Brooklyn Mountain Biking Message Board › Proper Hydration!

Proper Hydration!

George Z
user 9899896
Group Organizer
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 29
Did i drink enough?

How can a rider tell if they are properly hydrated?

The most basic way is urine color. Light-colored, diluted urine probably means you are hydrated, while dark-colored concentrated urine typically means you are dehydrated.

The other monitor is weight change. Most weight lost during a ride is fluid. Try to keep track of your weight in the morning pre-ride, as well as post ride. Large changes mean you are probably not drinking enough.

When to drink

A very loose guideline simply states to drink every 15 minutes. Riding in hot conditions, high altitudes, and an intense pace requires drinking more often. Its best to drink a little bit at a time more often, than alot at once.

Another important fact is to keep up the hydration after the ride. Nutrition ingested right after a workout, or even up to two hours later, can drastically improve recovery time.

What to drink

The natural choice for hydration is water. It hydrates better than any other liquid, both before and during exercise. Water tends to be less expensive and more available than any other drink. It also doesn't gunk things up, turn your items into a (insert color of choice here) as many sports drinks.

Sports drinks don't hydrate better than water, but you are more likely to drink larger volumes because of the taste, which leads to better hydration. The typical sweet-tart taste combination doesn't quench thirst, so you will keep drinking a sports drink long after water has lost its appeal. An attractive array of colors and flavors are available. You can get a carbohydrate boost from sports drinks, in addition to electrolytes which may be lost from perspiration, but these drinks tend to offer lower calories than juice or soft drinks.

Juice may be nutritious, but it isn't the best choice for hydration. The fructose, or fruit sugar, reduces the rate of water absorption so cells don't get hydrated very quickly. Juice is a food in its own right and it's uncommon for a person to drink sufficient quantities to keep hydrated. Juice has carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes, but it isn't a great thirst quencher.

Soft drinks are loaded with sugar, something you shouldn't need urgently during your rides. They don't replenish much for electrolytes, and the carbohydrates will slow your absorption of water, while the sugar gives you a quick energy boost.

Carrying it all

Unless pit stops to a car, cooler, or other location with stored drinks will be common, its always best to have a reservior/camelbak to carry fluids. This makes it faster to drink, can be done while riding if the tube is positioned well, and can hold a lot more than an average bottle. Sizes, colors, and everything else about them vary so it should be easy to find one for your budget and needs.
Danny
user 10593386
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 2
I picked up a great 3 liter camelbak like backpack from pricepoint.com for about 25$. Can't wait to use it
Eddie
sanoske312
Woodhaven, NY
Post #: 17
I picked up a great 3 liter camelbak like backpack from pricepoint.com for about 25$. Can't wait to use it

Hey danny if you picked up the sette max flo pack just be careful with the straps they tend to un-stitch themselves where they go across your chest good thing is pricepoint has a 1 yr no questions asked warranty on them. Ive had 2 send mine but pricepoint refunded my shipping and sent me a band new bladder along with it