Contemplative Readers in Chicago Message Board › New Meetup: "Why I am a Buddhist" by Stephen T. Asma, PhD

New Meetup: "Why I am a Buddhist" by Stephen T. Asma, PhD

William
FierceBuddhist
Chicago, IL
Announcing a new Meetup for Buddhist Readers in Chicago!

What: "Why I am a Buddhist" by Stephen T. Asma, PhD

When: Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:00 PM

Where: Argo Tea
16 W Randolph St
Chicago, IL 60615
Ph: (312) 553-1551

This month we will be discussing the book "Why I am a Buddhist" by Dr. Stephen Asma of Columbia College. If you have a copy great! If not there are three copies at the downtown Library. CLICK HERE TO PLACE HOLD> Or you can pick up a copy at various places in Chicago or online.

I have read the book and think it is an excellent treatise on Buddhism from a modern perspective. In the book Dr. Asma says.

"I'm not a monk or even a member of a temple... I probably drink too much, and I'm not the least bit interested in sexual abstinence. I like the White Sox and I eat meat. If a guy like me can be a Buddhist... trust me, there's room for you."

Meeting at Argo Tea in the Loop. It is easily accessed by the trains. Get off at Randolph and Wabash, walk South till you get to the Borders on Randolph then go West just past the end of the Borders.

The address is
16 West Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60601-3501
(312) 553-1551

We will start about 5pm until 7ish.

The theme of this meetup is to discuss what it means to be Buddhist in a modern society. There will be handouts to facilitate discussion. As a bonus the first 5 people who RSVP AND show up will get a copy of the Dhammapada to keep for future discussions.

I hope to see everyone there.

Pax,

William

RSVP to this Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com...­