The Edmonton English Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Housebreaking in extreme cold/housebreaking in general

Housebreaking in extreme cold/housebreaking in general

Amanda
user 59014962
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 3
Guys,
I am at my wits end with Bruce (4 mos.). In this extreme cold, he won't go outside and if he does, he keeps lifting his paws like his feet are on fire. We bought him a fleece jacket with a windbreaker to fight the chill. He wont go to the bathroom outside at all, but will wait till we bring him back inside to pee and poop. We had him almost house trained, we were working on getting him to tell us when he wanted out, but it seems we're back to day one. He is smart enough to hide from us when using the bathroom inside or will wait until I go upstairs out of view. He just does it in his pen. He's also stopped using his training pads overnight. He'll pee adjacent to them all over the floor. I don't know what to do.
Kevin & L.
user 9863417
Morinville, AB
Post #: 26
It's hard in this cold. What I would do is take one of his dirty pads and put it out side not to far right now because of the cold,it can be moved later. Now thus is the tuff part because they are soooooo stubborn it going to be a long weekend. Every 1/2 hour take him out to the pad and say pee. If he gets cold bring him in to warm a few Minuit do it again, it's like training a child. Always use the same word. When he goes pee bring him in with and give a treat and lots of love. If he pee on pad in house take him and pad outside say pee. I know this is a lot of work but bulldogs are stubborn but trainable. My 2 bulldogs ring a bell I have hug up on my door because they don't bark, to go outside. You just have to be more stubborn.