Bushcrafting, Survival & Tracking Message Board › How to Buy an Ax in PDX

How to Buy an Ax in PDX

A former member
Thanks again to everyone who attended the ax class. Here's a short description on buying local or not local axes.

The best quality of new axes come from Gransfors Bruks, Council Tool, or Snow and Nealley. These are probably the only new axes that I would buy online sight unseen. Gransfors will be the most expensive and the other two companies will have a more variable price range.

A new Collins or Truper axe can be found at local hardware stores. I would choose Truper over Collins. Truper can be found at farm stores on the way to Mt Hood or the Linnton Feed and Seed. These axes may run around $30 to $40.

One of the best ways, I think, to get into the ax game is to buy a good old American Brand like Plumb, Forest King, True Temper, older Collins, True American (Mann Edge Tool Co.), and Sager.

Ted's Tools on SE Powell between 82nd and I 205 is one of the best spots to look for old brands in PDX. Flea markets, antique stores, Garage Sales, and Ebay are other good spots.

Trust Co. is a group of folks making axes in Portland. They're a bit spendy but they restore older brands and they are also starting to make their own handles. Here's their FaceBook Page.

Once I find an axe head I like I go to Ankeny Hardware on SE Stark, or Wink’s Hardware on Stark just a few blocks closer to the river. The folks at Wink’s will be more able to help you find the right handle. Also, Coastal Farm and Ranch has a brand of handles that I like. There’s one store in Gresham and one in Oregon City.

There's a free booklet on my homepage that gives some tips on fixing up old axes and my DVD shows the whole process in great detail.

For axes for you home I recommend a couple of options.

Splitting Maul (wooden handled), Full-Sized Axe, and a ¾ Axe.

**Splitting Maul, and a ¾ Axe (the smaller axe can be used for bigger jobs and used like a hatchet one-handed.)**

A good saw can also be handy. A Corona pruning saw is a great tool and will last forever. A large bow saw is also an option. Both can be found at hardware stores.

Thanks again to everyone for a great class,

Alex
Samantha
user 39165302
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Coastal makes me smile
A former member
Post #: 3
Here's a good example of an affordable, American made axe from Council Tool.

http://www.baileysonl...­