Children's Book Writers of Los Angeles (CBW-LA) Message Board › Critique Session Proposal

Critique Session Proposal

Nutschell Anne Win...
nutschell
Group Organizer
Torrance, CA
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hello fellow scribblers!

As you all know, next Saturday is our first critique session for the month. As of now, 15 people have signed up and 11 people are on the waitlist.

I'd like to be able to accommodate everyone, so I've come up with this idea.

Let's turn the Critique Session into a First Pages Critique Session so that everyone on the waitlist, and other members who wish to sign up can join.

The first page of your manuscript is the most important page you'll ever write. It's the first page that agents and editors see, and unfortunately, the ONLY page they will judge you on. Agents, and editors, extremely busy as they are, have developed a keen eye for queries/ manuscripts submitted to them. They can tell whether to accept or reject a manuscript simply by reading the first line, or first page alone.

In this proposed First Pages Critique Session, you will read aloud your first pages and the facilitator (myself) and the rest of the group will give you helpful feedback on how to make your first page sparkle. I'll give you tips on how to catch your readers' attention (and an agent/editor) by helping you create a first line that hooks them and never lets them go.

Please let me know if this idea interests you. Email me at nutschell@cbw-la.org and let me know your thoughts.

warm regards,

Nutschell