CFI Skeptics of Eugene Message Board › HISTORY: Did Jesus Exist as a real person?

HISTORY: Did Jesus Exist as a real person?

Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 300
I'm not well read on the subject -- but this FaceBook post caught my attention so I thought I'd share it.

Did Jesus Exist as a real person?

Published on Mar 28, 2013
Dr. Richard Carrier flew in from California to lecture the UNCG Atheists, Agnostics, and Skeptics on the historicity of Christ. The historicity of Christ has appeared in the public consciousness over the last few years because of such individuals such as Robert Price and Dr. Carrier. This topic deals with the analysis of historical data to determine if Jesus existed as an actual person.

A library of articles by Dr. Carrier:
http://www.infidels.o...­

Wiki for Dr. Carrier
http://en.wikipedia.o...­
A former member
Post #: 19
Will Durant asked and answered this in Caesar and Christ, Volume III of the Story of Civilization, pp. 553--- (1944).

Those eleven volumes are the best history I've found... thoughtful, insightful, humorous and entertaining. The Durants were agnostics and skeptics. They won a Pulitzer in '68 for Vol. 10, Rousseau and Revolution.
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 302
Thanks, Richard. I appreciate the info.
Bob H.
user 13348486
Eugene, OR
Post #: 25
Hi Ruth;
I have another good source; the historian and theologian (double Ph.D.), Barbara Thiering. "Jesus the Man", "Jesus of the Apocalypse", "The Book Jesus Wrote". I have them and you can borrow anytime. I have corresponded with her for years and her voluminous (archaeological) data is very convincing to me and to other (real) scholars I have talked to about it. He lived, was a charismatic leader, was a pacifist, married twice with 3 children and lived to around 67 CE. Most of his story is interesting and very political but none of it is magical.
Bob