|Sent on:||Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:40 PM|
I would just like to say that these Wednesday nights have always been special for me. Not only is it hump day (middle of the week) but it is truly a time and a place where we could meet, dance, talk, and know for the most part, we would meet "like" people in our group and outside our group. People , who come just to enjoy dancing, or maybe just to meet new people, or converse with acquaintances/ friends, maybe come just to listen to music, or some just to people watch, or initially like me, go because I was just tired of being home alone on a weekday night . This is pretty much why I started attending this Wed night venue. Having said that, I have now attended it for years. I graduated from " holding up the wall" to being now , I think, a fun member of the group and the event.
The Wed night venue was always a popular event and we ( CT NY Singles) as a group never had to push this event within the group, because Oldies Night was sort of a long standing tradition. People sort of knew it was always there ( had been for the better part of 20 years) and it had a life of its own. Everyone knew you were guaranteed to see 150- 200 plus people, all in our age group. And you were pretty much guaranteed a dance(s) ,whether it be with a meetup group member , a friend , or someone you never met before. No matter when you went , it was always an interesting night to say the least. The play lists maybe different from week to week, the crowd could be different, and what went on within the place could be different from week to week. But no matter what, we always had fun and kept coming back. The best part for me of being a member in this group, was that no matter what, even if I didn't meet the woman of my dreams, I could always have fun in this group.
Given the fact that this venue is moving to a new location, I would just take this opportunity to point out a few things :
- It is important that we as a group try and support this night so we can continue to have a mid- week place to sort of let loose without having to wait for the weekend. Perception is everything. So it is really important that this event, especially in the first few weeks, that it be as successful as it is now.
- To the men, I just urge you to take a second look at this event. In all sincerity, we have the prettiest and nicest woman in our group and they stand out every week. They are good dancers, with plenty of energy and for the most part will dance when asked, no matter what skill level you have. They are fun, knowledgeable, good conversationalists , possess good personalities and are really good people. I could easily make the argument that a Wed night spent at this venue is more fun than spending the night alone on some site. Enough said.
- To the woman, I would ask those that come every week to continue to come, and continue to bring your smiles, your zest for fun and your amazing energy. And for those that do not regularly attend or haven't come, I could easily make a similar case for the quality of the men who attend in our group. This event is all about having fun. So if that's your mindset, I would ask you to come and add your value to this event. Ya never know what can happen . And they say it usually does when you least expect it. We have our own little success story with two of our members recently getting married
- To the usual's, I would ask you to keep an open mind. Coyote Maverick maybe even better than Teddy's or it could have some initial hiccups. Obviously it probably won't be the same and there maybe differences. The point is to continue to make this night successful and fun, please give Chris positive or negative feedback. She knows she gets all the constructive recommendations and I get credit for all the positive success stories ..Lol
- This venue has very reasonable drink specials between 8-10 . Take advantage of it , but of course, drink responsibly. Mixed drinks at $ 2 seem cheaper than bottled water...LOL
- This is not a country event, although it is being held in a venue noted for country music and dancing. This is Oldies Night but with newer music always played. Our DJ Brian is always accommodating, takes requests, and tries to play to our age group and the crowd, and plays music that encourages dancing.
- This group has just exceeded 1000 people. I would encourage those that haven't attended an event with us , or this event, to please give it a try . I would also ask you to bring friends . They are always welcome
Just one more thing. This group isn't about money or making money. Any money that is collected for the most part goes to keep the website active . This group is about having fun. It's about using the collective leverage we have as a group to find affordable activities and venues in these tough times. It's about putting people together in a fun and safe environment and maximizing that fun. Bless you Chris and all the organizers.
I truly feel blessed that I have met the people in this group that I have. If I could truly change something, I wish I personally could hear people better above the music. I am a lot more social .
I will now take on a writer’s cramp, but do encourage you to post any questions, concerns, ideas or just any comments in general.
Thank you for listening.
And I will thank you in advance for the fun and energy you all bring to make events like this successful. It's the people that make this Wed night a success not the event.