THE CALGARY MOTORCYCLE RIDERS AND EVERYTHING ELSE GROUP Message Board › 21 Ideas to Save Lives From Motorcycle Rider Training Experts

21 Ideas to Save Lives From Motorcycle Rider Training Experts

Ken W.
user 35158562
Calgary, AB
Post #: 3
Excellent read Allan, thks for the link.

To Randy's comment:
"For left hand turners, move to the right of your lane and put on your high beams lay on the horn if you have to...weaving back in forth in your lane in Alberta is "stunting" (Just a FYI)..don't do it.."

While this may be "stunting" in Alta, (again displaying the lack of understanding of non riding rregulators), I'd rather fight a ticket on this than die. It has a major impact in being noticed, and (not in town, but on two land highway) I'll use that gentling weaving tactic, particulary when riding alone, after first noticing it being done by an oncoming bike (I was in my cage at the time) while driving into the sun on Hwy 1A west of Cochrane. HUGE difference in noticing a single oncoming bike.
Pretty much as effecitve as using headlight modulators or flash to pass HI/Lo and/or the addition of aux lower lights to create the 3 point triangle (which also helps in determining distance with the 3 points of light)
To me the two most "concerning" moments are on-coming traffic waiting to turn lest across, and stopped vehicles at cross-roads. Well, that and the damn forest rats (deer) that are VERY active at this time of year, especially near dusk on ward.
Just my $0.02 Cdn.

PS: Road with some N.W. acreage owners on Sat. 2 of 8 total guys (boty from within 6-8 KM or Water Valley) have recently seen both cougars and wolves on their properties. One had a cougar chasing a smaller animal cross in front of him at full tilt while on his longish driveway out to the county road, just last Wednesday. Said it happended so fast it scared the ^$*) ouf of him, also because he was not yet really paying attention fully while on his own driveway.

Be careful out there right now, lots of fall animal activity as everything tries to bulk up fat for overwintering

Randy
user 14621937
Calgary, AB
Post #: 48
I agree Ken, anything to make yourself more visible, I put a blue light on the center (parking) lamp on my CB125R and it made a big difference in being noticed head on. I too would rather be seen, but I dont want to go fight a ticket either..

And Z, i ride Glenmore - Crowchild in the AM/PM I have had a lady look right at me, change the channel on the radio, then move right into my space..(EEK!)
In heavy traffic there is not much you can do, but try and keep moving so you don't blend in.
If you are in the Left hand lane, hang out in the right hand side of that lane, so the center lane folks can see you, or they will move into where you are too...
If traffic is stopped, (accident ect) I just move to the far right shoulder and pass there no faster than 5kph...as long as your being respectful, slow and safe, you wont get into too much trouble. (besides the police are busy dealing with the accident anyway)

Kim hit a deer last mystery ride (she's fine) and the bike took very minimal damage, it could have been much much worse.

Just ride safe, and within your skill level...I'm still working on getting over that dam SR#1...lol...

(edit to remove any confusion and speeling)
A former member
Post #: 31
Seriously? Ride on the shoulder in heavy stop & go traffic?? Not only will that piss people off ('cause no on likes someone getting to go faster than they do!), increase your chances of someone cutting you off but it is totally illegal. Not a good strategy in my books....
Randy
user 14621937
Calgary, AB
Post #: 49
Slow and respectfully wins out sitting there waiting IMO.
But yes, seriously.
There are very few advantages to riding a motorcycle, getting through a small space is one I do take advantage of.
And for the record, I have done it, and ridden right past a police officer standing on the side of the road.
He didn't even blink..and let me roll on by..
I'm sure if I was travelling fast, and being disrespectful (I'm taking 5-10Kmph here) there would have been a different outcome..
YMMV...of course..

Just like filtering, can you imagine lane splitting during traffic like that?
If that is considered "safer" then on the shoulder is "more safer"...
Zokambaa
user 12971400
Calgary, AB
Post #: 47
Red lights/yellow/amber can only be on the back of the vehicle white/yellow/amber on the front
Blue lights are not legal due to emergency vehicle use.... I can't remember the exact highway traffic laws but they are generally pretty much the same North America wide on that one.... Not sure the cops would have a problem if it isn't flashing blue and simulating a cop strobe...

but I have seen guys with those "look at me" boy racer cars which had blue axillary lights in the grill and on the windshield washer jets get a ticket... it had all the normal ones but the blue ones probably due to placement got them the ticket

I've even seen ticket happy cops fine someone for having a blue licence plate frame light on the back of the bike... even though it made the plate easier to see than the red ones I have seen people use... apparently licence plates can only be lit with white light.

As far as using the shoulder.. yes that would be ok if it was to avoid an accident or someone hitting you from their stupid action.

Riding in the shoulder is a fine and demerits on your license if a cop sees you.

I did this many years ago when traffic was stopped on bow trail going to crowchild... I wanted to go south but all the north traffic was stopped and blocking the way...

I filtered along the shoulder slowly went around some cars and was on my way... a cop saw me do it and eventually caught me up by the turn off by Mt Royal College (at the time) even back then it was a big fine and I think it was 3 points... but can't remember it has been so long now.

I didn't know it was illegal as I never heard it mentioned and I had seen so many shows on TV showing bikes doing it in commuter traffic... but the cop wasn't too happy as he had a hard time getting through the traffic to catch up to me.... had I been speeding he would have never found me... but none the less it was a ticket.

Also the shoulder on Glenmore has all sorts of crap so I wouldn't want to spend much time riding on the shoulder anyway unless it was to move around someone at little more than an idle speed

In some cases a cop may let you filter by on the shoulder... but others may throw the book at you... if you do it you may be able to do it safely but I can't imagine the ticket for that now since ticket fines have more than doubled in the past several years.

I think the only way you might get out of the ticket is if it was a hot day and traffic was at a stand still and your bike is air cooled... and would overheat otherwise... but again it would be up to the cop.

<Edit> I do wish Motorcycles could legally use Transit lanes and Bike lanes... sure many do use it... but again one ticket happy cop would put a dent in my wallet I don't need.

I also found the Traffic Safety Act Vehicle Equipment Regulation link... it mentions the lighting etc...
www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_­122.pdf

A former member
Post #: 32
Somehow I don't think breaking a traffic law "slowly and respectfully" will earn you brownie points in the eyes of the police that wish to enforce this law. You may get lucky and the officer that sees you may not choose to take issue with you today but that does not make it acceptable every time. You just got lucky today.

I have also seen many drivers swerve into the right shoulder, to block the way, when they see someone "cheating" to get ahead. I'm not sure how that kind of an erratic response by a vehicle would make me safer on a bike. Now I'm swerving in a tight space, or braking hard, on a non-lane that doesn't get cleaned regularly and, as mentioned, has all sorts of crap in it. If they hit me or I drop because of road rubble, I get the ticket, injuries and damage. I'd rather take my chances with the rest of the traffic and, if possible, divert off the backed up road to a new route as soon as possible.

It's great to have a thread discussing safety but I'd caution advocating clearly illegal manuevers that may or may not be safer depending on the road conditions and rider ability.
Randy
user 14621937
Calgary, AB
Post #: 50
I'd caution advocating clearly illegal manuevers that may or may not be safer depending on the road conditions and rider ability.

Like anything around Calgary, it is only illegal when you get caught. (speeding, distracted driving, driving drunk, minor traffic offences, illegal lane changes ect ect.)
Even then, you are considered innocent until proven guilty.(except a DUI where it is just the opposite).

I have been around the block a few times now, and I can tell you honestly, if there is a accident, the police are WAY too busy to worry about a minor traffic violation.(I did the Glen-Crow and back ride for over 23 years)
They would rather see you get the hell out of the way and get home safely.

Of course, what you are comfortable with and what I am are two different things, if you want to sit on your bike for a hour in traffic, when there is a clear, safe and effective way to get around it, that is your prerogative.

I do have the right, to express what has worked for me in the past, these are not criminal acts, like advocating robbing a bank, or committing murder.

This little titbit is what I was referring to..from the lane sharing document posted above.

"Moving a motorcycle from behind traffic to a position next to traffic changes the risk to the motorcycle. All crash situations will comply with physical laws. Comparing the collision dynamics of a rear-end impact to a motorcycle involved in a lane-sharing accident reveals that lane-sharing represents a safer overall situation for motorcyclists. A motorcycle that is lane-sharing is no longer exposed to the full-force of a rear-end impact. Rather, the dynamic is more similar to a sideswipe lane-changing impact, which is an incomplete force contact"

What I took from that it that it is better to be out of or "beside" traffic to be safer.
Getting sideswiped, is better than being crushed in a rear ender..

In case you missed it that document is here..
http://www.ridetowork...­
A former member
Post #: 33
Interesting take... it's only illegal when you get caught...

What you are comfortable with and what others are comfortable is often not the same thing - hopefully everyone is good at judging their own abilities and riding to that level. New riders may be less so as they look to riders with experience to learn from. The suggestion of riding up the shoulder in heavy traffic may be valid in certain circumstances, but the manuever is not without significant risks; to suggest otherwise or ignore the risks when offering it up as a valid riding strategy is irresponsible as an experienced rider.

I too have been around the block a few times - 21k and counting his season alone - but I stand by my comment that you've quoted in your response.
Randy
user 14621937
Calgary, AB
Post #: 51
Randy wrote.
Of course, what you are comfortable with and what I am are two different things.

So we can agree on that, it seems..

Good for you on your 21K, how much of that was commuting in rush hour traffic?
And of that how much of it was spent sitting in traffic waiting for an accident to clear?

And perhaps, my definition of "heavy traffic" and yours is different too.
I wasn't suggesting that its a good idea to ride on the shoulder if traffic is moving, only when it is stopped.

The document posted would agree with my assessment.

But I think we can agree to disagree on this one..

Thanks.
A former member
Post #: 34
My apologies, I read "heavy stop and go" where it now says "stopped" in bold on the original post. Apparently I mis-read.

And to clarify my "credentials" as someone who can disagree with an opinion offered on this thread, since I commute to work most days on the bike a significant amount of my riding time is spent in heavy rush hour, or stop and go traffic. Calgary traffic cannot even begin to compete with the 400 and 401 in Toronto, however, or the interstates in Cleveland and Chicago - all of which I spent time on this year, on the bike, during full on rush hour. Honestly though, a contest of who rides most or in hardest traffic wasn't my point. I ride a lot - near and far, highway and city - it's not particularly relevant.

If you are going to offer up an alternate riding method, particularly one that isn't risk free itself or may result in ticket/demerits, on a safety thread it's probably reasonable to expect comments about the risks and/or respectful disagreement.

I'll be stepping out of this thread now. Enjoy riding!