Where: Wapta Icefield - Banff / Yoho National Park
When: August 1, 2, 3, 4, 2013
Who: 6 people
Route: Make our own route.
Distance: 51.0 km
Elevation: 1010m gain / 2570 loss
Safety: Crevasses, navigation, bears, exposure, weather.
Equipment: To be discussed at the meeting
Requirements: Crevasse rescue training, First aid kit
READ THE ENTIRE WRITE-UP BEFORE SIGNING UP FOR THIS TRIP!!!
This trip has a manual wait list.
The Wapta traverse is a must do adventure in the Canadian Rockies, and is a world class destination with spectacular views of the Wapta and Waputik Icefields. This will be a demanding backpacking trip requiring a higher degree of physical fitness and skill.
Day 1 Bow Lake --------------------------- Bow Hut
Day 2 Bow Hut ------------------------- Balfour Hut
Day 3 Balfour Hut ------------- Scott Duncan Hut
Day 4 Scott Duncan Hut -- West Louise Lodge
We will be leaving Calgary at 6:00 pm, so please be gassed up, feed, and ready to leave.
It is your responsibility to make sure you have acquired all necessary equipment, clothing, and food for this trip. All outdoor activities involve a certain degree of risk, so it is up to you to be prepared, self-reliant, responsible, cautious, and aware of surrounding hazards. As well, mountain weather can be unpredictable, so be prepared for unforeseen changes. For safety reasons, if you show up for this event unprepared or with inappropriate clothing and or gear you will not be permitted to continue on the trip.
If renting gear please make sure it works and you have all parts.
It is my intent to empower members to take responsibility and gain backcountry experience and knowledge. This event should be viewed as a learning experience as well as a fun filled trip.
- To be on this trip you need to obtain a reservation for Bow Hut, Balfour Hut, Scott Duncan Hut, and obtain a wilderness pass for the duration of the trip.
- Reservations can be made by calling the Alpine Club of Canada at 1 (403)[masked]. A membership will be required. Wilderness passes can be obtained at the same time.
- You will be required to have your hut reservation and wilderness pass on you the duration of the trip.
- Trip members will be responsible for setting up their own car-pooling prior to the trip start date.
- This trip will require the shuttling of vehicles prior to and after the trip.
- If time permits we will be stopping for dinner and hot springs after the trip. If you are not interested in participating, please make arrangements to car-pool with others not attending prior to the event start date.
MANDATORY PRE-TRIP MEETINGS INVOLVED WITH THIS TRIP:
At the meeting all required permits and or reservations need to be presented to the trip organizer, or you risk being removed from the trip. Any fees incurred by the group leader for your participation in the trip must be paid in full by this date. Fees paid by the group leader will be non- refundable and non-transferable (this trip involves commitment).
If you have any questions I can be contacted at [masked]
PLEASE READ CORA RULES OF CONDUCT