addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cambridge Game Creators Message Board › First "Game Creation Day" - planning

First "Game Creation Day" - planning

Ramin
user 30550902
Group Organizer
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 18
Hey guys,

We decided to do a small informal coding day - as a warm up towards bigger ones perhaps.

Katie wants to port an XNA game to MonoGame which fits a meeting like that.
(http://www.meetup.com...­)

I suggested Sat 4th Aug so far one person (Brice) said he can't make it.

Let's continue the discussion here... smile

Jonathan P.
user 24003542
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 1
Hey Ramin,

Id like to come to one of these meetups. Can't do the 4th I'm afraid hopefully going to tigjam 7 which is on that weekend... hopefully nothing comes up before then!

I have lots on but my first available weekend is 31st Aug - 2nd Sept.

Id be happy to do pixel art for people at the jam!
Ramin
user 30550902
Group Organizer
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 19
Since I have not heard much and that we are pretty booked until Sep, let's provisionally make it Saturday 1st of Sep 2012.

I will create an event in a few days and if I don't hear from members a week after that, we will freeze the date.

Any suggestions?
A former member
Post #: 4
Porting a game sounds like a good idea.

I don't speak C#, but do speak Java, so this will be interesting.

There's probably some prep to be done to make sure the meet goes smoothly and we don't spend the time dealing with small stuff.

Here's a couple of suggestions:

• Create an organisation on Github, add the project we'll work on as a repo, so we can have our work in public, and collaborate easily
  • Create an VirtualBox virtual machine with all the tools setup so that people don't struggle to get the environment initialised correctly on their laptops on the day itself
  • Get people to install virtualbox or the tools before the event. Have a test project to verify that their setup is correct.
  • Make a couple of USB drives with all the utilities needed on all major platforms (dev kits, sdks, etc...) so that people don't have to wait to download them over a slow wifi. Put the VM image and the git repo on the USB too.
  • Place the dev VM online so people can download it before the event. (torrent?)
  • Have some progressively more difficult explicit targets and goals to meet. (perhaps we could set up a trello board to cover what we hope to achieve and have it projected on a wall during the meet?

I'll happily donate hosting space if needed, and can start doing some of these, if that's what we want.

We could also start organising the event on trello.

We'll also need to decide on what game we'll be porting.

There are other ideas to consider too:

• 24H game (were we pitch and vote for ideas at the start and then implement the chosen idea in one day)
  • Game clone (clone an existing game)

Either of which could be done in XNA and exercise MonoGame.
katie
user 47314602
Little Paxton, GB
Post #: 6
Hi

I think Yes to all of the above .... a VM is a really good idea.

The 1942 source code is not mine, but it is available here:

http://blog.arogan.co...­

Katie

Ramin
user 30550902
Group Organizer
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 20
Hi Brice, Katie, and others,

Brice, thanks for suggestions, they are useful. The purpose of this first one in my mind is to learn
how things should be done which is why I don't want to announce the first day outside of this group.
I hope a second and a third one go much better than the fist one as we learn.

This month, I personally don't have the time to do all this but of course you guys are welcome.
I can do the emails and announcements if you have anything.

I will create the event in a moment and we can take it from there.

ps, I am going to change the group's title. Big change! We need creatives to join as well
and I think "Cambridge Game Creators" is a much more art friendly title. My Logo Designer
is not too happy he has to change his work now ;)
katie
user 47314602
Little Paxton, GB
Post #: 7
A game change sounds like a good idea, an even better idea would be for a few of us to infiltrate some of the existing arty type groups !! I know there are many disciplines but perhaps we could like have some business card type things to give to people to tempt them to help us out. I personally am quite interested in art so I would be happy to go and give out some stuff.

Aside from the technical side of setting things up for the first meeting, which I'm not sure about, where are we going to hold this event? Would it be worth perhaps going back to the Hauser forum and asking to use their facilities for a weekend?

Katie

Ramin
user 30550902
Group Organizer
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 22
Hi Katie
Yes goodies are a good idea and I have been very busy making a Logo for us.
As soon as we have something, I'll create cards and other stuff.
Don't worry about the venue, will sort it out too.
A former member
Post #: 5
So...

Ramin
user 30550902
Group Organizer
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 24
Good Brice, thanks.

I think it's best if you and Katie looked after this until I can make time. It would be good to try and think what other stuff might be needed for a day like this. You have a chance to meet others until then too.