Cambridge Mobile App Group Message Board › Your ideal requirements for a mobile app framework

Your ideal requirements for a mobile app framework

Tim C.
user 24484512
London, GB
Post #: 3
At Marmalade, we've been a leading solution for cross-platform native games/apps for some time. We're now looking to expand into being a great hybrid (web + native) apps solution.

I'm looking for opinions on what you'd like to see in a hybrid apps solution - the obvious existing references being PhoneGap (HTML/CSS UI) and Titanium (native UI).

- How often do you feel the need for native UI within your hybrid app?
- When you feel this need, is primarily for the native "furniture" (screen-peripheral elements such as toolbars, ActionSheet) and notifications? Or do you have a need for full native UI (a la Titanium)?
- If a hybrid apps solution could also offer support for Flash (windowed anywhere in the screen, but probably not scrollable) would that be useful?
- Any other features you find missing from PhoneGap / Titanium?

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond...
Diogo N.
Cambridgeshire, GB
Post #: 2
I'm new to this (PhoneGap looks great btw) but I'd say, preview/edit tools would be a great advantage.
I think it's important to be consistent with the platform standard UI, which differ a little between platforms. Would be great if I could put everything together once but preview how it looks in all platforms at the same time.

Another way to look at it would be with layers.
Mostly all the core components of an app are in the same place in all platforms, what changes often are things like the back button etc etc.
Would be great to have a 'core' layer where I put everything common to all platforms (or close to it) and then create simple layers, on top, with these platform specific details (even if they re-use the same code to perform actions).

I haven't tried any of the others so I can't tell what's missing but I hope this helps in any way :)