addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Canine Adventure's Human Adventure Message Board › New Meetup: The BIG hike!

New Meetup: The BIG hike!

Josh R.
user 10062403
Group Organizer
Richmond, VA
Announcing a new Meetup for Canine Adventure's Human Adventure!

What: The BIG hike!
When: Saturday, July 2, 2011 9:00 AM

Price: $12.00 per person

Where: Belle Isle Dirt Parking Lot
Tredegar Ave. (Bottom of 5th/Under RR and Lee Bridge)
Richmond, VA 23221

Ok, it's officially on! We're going to hike the loop, and see who can keep up with Marshall...

We'll be starting on Belle Isle, and not taking a single short cut on our trek as we circumnavigate the main part of the James River Park System. After a loop on the island, we'll cross over to the southside and hike riverside trails to the Nickle Bridge. From there, it's across to the north bank of the river, covering Texas Beach's trails and the hills of the North Bank back downstream to Oregon Hill, and to our cars.

This will be a long, fast hike. At a good pace, we'll be at it about 3 hours, not sure how many miles but at least 10 if we do it honest. So....

-You MUST have attended at least 2 hikes with your dog to go on this hike. We have easier hikes available to get folks acclimated to the idea of hiking their dog.

-You MUST be in good physical health. We won't have time to stop for a heart attack!

-You MUST bring some water for yourself (the dogs like drinking river water). Maybe a snack, but definitely water. It'll be hot out there. Bonus points for anyone who brings me some coffee!

-Your dog MUST get along well with others. We won't have "playtime" but will have a rest break or two, and the dogs will be in close quarters.

Our dogs will be leashed for much of the hike, with occasional off-leash hiking allowed in certain areas. This is not the best venue for teaching your dog to walk nicely on leash, so spend the week boning up on your leash skills!

This will be a small group, and I hike really fast, so keep up!

I'm going to map this one out on my dumbphone. I've never actually done the full loop in one go, so I'm really looking forward to doing the hike justice! Really, though, I don't think it'll be all that hard. It will be memorable, though!

Check it out!