addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cannon Falls Freethinkers Message Board › KIVA World Donations

KIVA World Donations

A former member
Post #: 1
I don't know about you, but I like to do good things for other people.

I am also highly competitive and have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about living in a supposedly religion-free society that is anything but...

So, I merged all of this into a singular discovery: http://kiva.org/invitedby/michael80145039

I made several donations through KIVA to help some people across this world to live their lives. In one case to help a man buy some appliances for his home (shouldn't have to buy from a loanshark just to get a fridge) and the other to help a group of women buy supplies for their roadside canteen in Africa.

Once I picked the loans, I felt pretty good about it, then I found out about groups...

In KIVA, there are groups of lenders who band together under common flags/interests to make their support somewhat cause-based. This is where it gets topical - they have a freethinkers group and I joined it. When I joined it, I went to the groups page and found that I was one of almost 18,000 people who had given money through KIVA and did so in connection with this group - representing over $5million in loans across the world.

As proud as I was of that stat, I was even more happy at the next discovery - the "Kiva Christians" group is only 8,100 members strong and has given just over $3million.

So, if you are a willing participant, follow my invite link and check it out. You can make as small a donation as $25 and decide to keep re-investing the loans as they get repaid, or to have them added up and counted as a yearly donation to charity for tax purposes.

A friend who introduced me to this site has invested roughly $300 into more than a dozen different loans over the past three years - as they get repaid, he takes the money and offers it to another applicant.

It is a truly cool concept and a social program that is world-focused, not xenophobic or fake charity in the name of proselytization. I heart this big time and welcome you to spread the word.
Ken K.
user 10364436
Group Organizer
Cannon Falls, MN
Post #: 1
Thanks for the tip. I have made 8 Kiva loans and I think it is great. I am now on board the Freethinker team! Whoo-hoo! I second your recommendation to check out Kiva.