align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Canton Software Craftsmanship Message Board › Monthly Mentorship Challenge #3 Now with more Minesweeper

Monthly Mentorship Challenge #3 Now with more Minesweeper

Shawn Michael C.
user 13107104
Portland, ME
Post #: 10
Write code and be adored! ;) Pull requests at the github repo at the bottom of this page. Mike Geig lead us off this month with some cool C++ and Java examples. I'm working on python, Objective-C, and Go but please solve it in whatever language you want to. Last month was really cool having lots of examples in different languages. Ready, set, CODE!

Challenge Description:

You will be given an M*N matrix. Each item in this matrix is either a '*' or a '.'. A '*' indicates a mine whereas a '.' does not. The objective of the challenge is to output a M*N matrix where each element contains a number (except the positions which actually contain a mine which will remain as '*') which indicates the number of mines adjacent to it. Notice that each position has at most 8 adjacent positions e.g. left, top left, top, top right, right, ...

Input sample:

Your program should accept as its first argument a path to a filename. Each line in this file contains M,N, a semicolon and the M*N matrix in row major form. e.g.

3,5;**.........*...
4,4;*........*......
Output sample:

Print out the new M*N matrix (in row major form) with each position(except the ones with the mines) indicating how many adjacent mines are there. e.g.

**100332001*100
*10022101*101110

https://www.codeeval....­

https://github.com/ja...­