addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Carolyn
user 13230876
Saint Petersburg, FL
Post #: 1
I am interested in Acadia National Park, whale watching, day hikes and/or kayaking.
Sheri A.
user 7494068
Lakeland, FL
Post #: 21
Well looks like I need to get busy and research this trip.

Sheri Lynn
Elisa
user 10235175
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 6
I would be interested. I need at least 2 months notice to get the time off.
Ronda G
user 62947572
Riverview, FL
Post #: 3
biggrin I would be interested as well. I love the outdoors! Don't know about the backpacking part but like to camp or do the B & B if that is what everyone decides. I would love to kayak and do day hikes as well! Count me in! I would need a month or two to get the time off from work as well!
A former member
Post #: 7
A fantastic idea,any outdoor enthusiast worth his salt should do 'Down East' ME. We did a driving 20 day loop trip-starting and ending in Bangor,ME this past Sept. Taking in allot of hiking.paddling.sightseeing etc. We flew out of Sanford,FL direct into Bangor via Allgient Air. A few things to consider checked bags and ground transportation costs. Bangor is a small town so car rental will be limited to what is in stock at time of arrival no matter what you reserve,like say a mini van for group. I would highly recommend an after Labor day time for this trip this area is highly impacted by summering families/students/seniors/etc. It is a summer tourists mecca due to its close location to NY and Boston. Baxter State park is wild and quite vast and with a 10 mph throughout park it takes a while to go from point A to point B..but not to be missed hiking galore..moose galore...google the Knife Edge trail for a taste of one of the coolest East coast trails along the nothern terminus of the AT. But Baxter camping permits fill up fast..out of staters get to pay extra charge if you are sporting out of state plates ..lol ours was of MA...haaa! The group could backpack into one of the many lakes which have canoes for use..iF you paddle you must paddle a nothern Lake;period! Bar Harbor..is full of tourists which is the entry town into Acadia..do the "precipices trail"there..a sheer cllif face hike via iron rungs a mostly 1000 foot vertical granite hike if there ever was one..google it also to see. ..plan plan and do more planning..Kayak the Cranberry Islands..near Bahhhhh Habaaaaaah....very beautiful lots of sea life. Whale watching...go with a zodiac trip not a converted lobster boat...Lobster boats stay way off from the whales if your even lucky enough to locate them. Zodiacs can get one within 10 feet of a mammoth sea beast..we saw Fin Backs which are the 2nd largest mammal on earth and Humpbacks the most active whale and most fun to see; we took this trip out of a small town way up in Nova Scotia..these Maine whale trips are hit or miss..becareful of garonteet sighting trips..usual sightings are of porposises...some are true tourist traps so research them! Lots more suggestions but limited here. JUST DO IT! But again in Summer this area is packed to the gills with tourits. It is a stunning jewel..but its the NE weather changes like the wind...We were followed up from FL by a tropical system and had 70 mph winds at Baxter SP..ugh so a return trip is in cards...soon very soon! Just DO IT!!! If I can help give a yell we have much info...another place for real outdoor folks are the Whites in NH but thats another trip and another and another and....ciao
A former member
Post #: 31
I would be very interested
Kristina
user 13060071
Tampa, FL
I have been in this area once and can't wait to go back again. I would like to kayak a little river/sea basin not to much open water. Hiking is great idea but I would prefer more day hiking vs heavy over night mountain hikes unless we had some sherpa or alpaca assistance :). Bar Harbor, Bath, and most of the coast is beautiful. I have a period in June I am able to be off but most time is pretty restricted to a long weekend otherwise. The plane fare is a great deal.
A former member
Post #: 1
As I have never been to this area, I would love to go. Count me in.
A former member
Post #: 5
Sheri!!

I think this has been a hit! I too am interested, please let's brainstorm there is so much wonderful input, maybe we can have a couple of options in regards to B & B's, hostels, camping, long hikes/day hikes, etc. I would be up for a meeting of the minds and since Lakeland is central to most, I would be happy to offer my home, we can even make it a potluck or something!! lol
Jim M.
user 51093752
Ruskin, FL
Was in Bar Harbor / Acadia in Sept 2009. It slows down after schools start and camping at Acadia is more open. I flew to Boston, train and bus to Bangor then a shuttle run by the Village motel in BH to Acadia. no back country camping in Acadia. All hikes are day hikes. There is a park shuttle system to most areas of the park and you can rent bikes to do the carriage road system. Great place for seeing Maine, and you can take coastal kayak routes to camp on remote islands.