Simply Laidback Adventurers, Campers and Kayakers (SLACKERS) Message Board › The Checklist That Might save Your Life

The Checklist That Might save Your Life

Jim S.
user 67752562
Tampa, FL
Post #: 9
Greg Pflug posted the link to one of the pages at his site, I'll post the link here to the index. This is required reading for all coastal trips I host and should be on your reading list regardless. Just ask a recently baptized member what 55 deg water feels like on a 45 deg day after paddling 8 miles.
Five Golden Rules for Water Safety

"What will you do if....
Incapacitated by cold.
Blown out to sea by high wind.
Paddle breaks, blows away, or is lost in rough water.
Ankle leash breaks and boat blows away.
Waves dump water into cockpit and boat fills with water.
Fog rolls in - can’t see anything.
Capsize and can’t get back in boat.
You get lost."

I don't have to worry about the ankle leash, I don't have one shock
Julie A.
user 8252034
Orlando, FL
Post #: 77
Thanks, Jim. A great read.

I was at the Econ today. I don't know the water temperature, but I do know that I had a bit of an intake of breath when I stepped into the water to get into my kayak. My thought was I should have worn my 7mm neo mukluks, but the air temp was close to 74=75 and did go up to 80's eventually. The water was still cold though, reflecting the previous week of colder temperatures.

I hope that lots of people will read this, and apply. If nothing else, I hope to see more people wearing their PFD's. I am always shocked at the numbers who do not and this needs to change.
Elizabeth P
user 9798777
Seminole, FL
Post #: 59
This might be overkill but it makes for a good read and most of it also applies to river /estuary kayaking.

http://www.marinerkay...­

The correct PFD for kayaking really would help also. We were stopped by a ranger on the Ocklawaha who required one of the paddlers to take his PFD off to verify that it was Class 2. A properly fitted PFD should be short in the back and not inhibit your arm movement. It's the best investment one can make!