Central Jersey Tech Meetup Message Board › AHHH!! What should I learn?!

AHHH!! What should I learn?!

Dave
pinmouse
Howell, NJ
Post #: 18
Hey All!

So after our first meetup I'd been inspired to start practicing Ruby (in preperation for Rails). Recently I learned about this new contender Node.js, which is written in Javascript (but for backend). The upside being that once you get good with JS you've basically got a "full stack", all with one language, since it's used front end too! The downside is that there are pretty much no jobs out there since it's so new.

(There is also Laravel, which is a new PHP framework that is getting rave reviews.)

Anyways, the point is. Since most of you guys seem to really know your stuff when it comes to all this. Which do you suggest I set my focus on: Rails, Node, or Laravel?

My goal is to build a website(s) that I can start to charge subscription fees for to make extra money (unless they actually make enough to do full-time). Also, to eventually get a job as a developer (I've always worked front-end).

Sooooo... I'm hoping for suggestions, with reasons why you think so.... not to just hear "whichever you like". Because I don't want to focus on something, just to realize all the cool kids are using something else. ;)

Thanks and see you at the next meetup!
Dave