Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › Slavery is continuing strong in the 21st Century

Slavery is continuing strong in the 21st Century

A former member
Post #: 1,031

Lisa Kristine: Photos that bear witness to modern slavery

For the past two years, photographer Lisa Kristine has traveled the world, documenting the unbearably harsh realities of modern-day slavery.
She shares hauntingly beautiful images -- miners in the Congo, brick layers in Nepal -- illuminating the plight of the 27 million souls enslaved worldwide. (Filmed at TEDxMaui)

A former member
Post #: 1,049

Teleology
A thing or action has an extrinsic finality when it is for the sake of something external to itself.
In a way, people exhibit extrinsic finality when they seek the happiness of a child.
If the external thing had not existed that action would not display finality.

A thing or action has an intrinsic finality when it is for none other than its own sake.
For example, one might try to be happy simply for the sake of being happy, and not for the sake of anything outside of that.

A former member
Post #: 1,054

Slavery by Another Name
Official Selection of the 2012 Sundance Film Festival

Slavery by Another Name is a 90-minute documentary that challenges one of Americans’ most cherished assumptions:
the belief that slavery in this country ended with the Emancipation Proclamation.

The film tells how even as chattel slavery came to an end in the South in 1865, thousands of African Americans were pulled back into forced labor with shocking force and brutality.

It was a system in which men, often guilty of no crime at all, were arrested, compelled to work without pay, repeatedly bought and sold, and coerced to do the bidding of masters.

Tolerated by both the North and South, forced labor lasted well into the 20th century.

For most Americans this is entirely new history.

Slavery by Another Name gives voice to the largely forgotten victims and perpetrators of forced labor and features their descendants living today.
A former member
Post #: 1

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,939
Lorem, great you have joined us. I see your name in all sorts of places, so you must really get around.

Re: Randi, above, in one place he says that the people will cling to a belief despite evidence that for anyone else would bring that belief into doubt. This makes it seem like there can only be one such person. But then he implies that there are others also with the same belief and who reject such evidence, meaning that such an individual would not be alone but would have others who would agree. So then what criterion is he using for making the decision as to whether to doubt? What constitutes evidence? Is it only that one should not doubt the majority viewpoint? I wonder if he has an example of such a sheep, and how much of a minority that sheep is in. A person with a "bizarre" delusion would seem to qualify, but he is talking about things like "religion" and "philosophy," which sound like viewpoints maintained by rather large numbers of people. And yet he seems to be using majority viewpoint as the criterion of acceptability of the relevance of evidence. Hmmmm!
A former member
Post #: 21
Bill you use the word evidence like it means something. Evidence only has a place in science, not in philosophy. In philosophy we consider the possibilities. If you want concrete I suggest you order it. If you want thought then lets talk about it. I have no intention of changing your viewpoint, only in offering you mine. You ridicule people who offer their viewpoint and challenge their language. Bill old son, you talk when you should listen, these folks have something to say and I applaud them for it. I am a big fish in my small pond but I want to talk to other big fish in their small ponds without qualifying what they say. Hell fire man, we can't know everything, listen and be objective, these are some pretty smart folks that only want to be heard and I want to here them. The only thing greater than your book, my book, is people. People are the only thing that counts and the only thing that can make a difference. Let's here what we say, what the people say, what the person has to say, and then make an opinion. Hearing is not about volume, it is about quality, every person has something to say, all we need to do is listen.
lorem i.
user 119941362
Billings, MT
Post #: 7

lorem i.
user 119941362
Billings, MT
Post #: 8
I believe Randi is making a statement which I disagree with potentially in that the human
species carries with it members who accept the lie despite their knowledge of its error or falsity.

[edit]
In Memento an amnesiac prefers his not knowing, or his sickness, as the movie viewer later realizes they were hoping the wrong hero would win, the brutal amnesiatic.

The amnesia-tic prefers the willful ignorance of his actions and prevents his own recollection of his actions.

Some of the appeal of this movie is that the movie goer without looking for direct visual confirmation of the actions from the brutal amnesiatic the movie goer may not perceive that who the villain in the movie actually was.

The movie goer is challenged to look for evidence, make a theory (including the framing how each participant may hide evidence such what would a movie goer do if they had no memory), and apply their theory equally and see whether a theory is consistent.

And, whether they may be able to convince anyone else with their theory.

Also, the the movie goer could use one set of skills inter-subjectively in one area into another.

Memento Trailer

The Matrix (willful ignorance)

Rosemary eventually learns to love evil...

Rosemary's Baby - What have you done to its eyes?

In Omen II Damien shows that the teacher is making is the same mistake as his students.
That the teachers lack of understanding that knowledge or certain knowledge alone does not equate to goodness.
The teacher himself might be considered an agent of the devil with his lack of knowing or correcting of error.
The teachers ignorance or love of facts would be learned and the teacher's error would continue to propagate without correction from him to his students.

Damien Omen II scene History Questions

Only by looking at the evidence from our models may we discern the effects what our actions have to our environment.
Realization of the effects to the people to us from our earlier actions comes to us with psychological burdens.

Harry Angel vs Louis Cyphre

Angel Heart "I know who I am"

Randi may be saying that some of our members may be too burdened with sadness, fear, and anger to lighten their emotional baggage.

An overview of Lesson 1 - reduce your psychological wounds

lorem i.
user 119941362
Billings, MT
Post #: 12
In this video clip which I take to be authentic. Walter Cronkite states some basic truths such as more preparation towards war is made than towards peace.
That we should work tremendously more towards peace.
That we should take better actions to treat the planet and its inhabitants of the planet better so that neither shall die off.
But he puts that stewardship of everything and everyone needs to be governmental and that he gladly serves at the right hand of Satan.

Walter Cronkite may be saying the our existing institutions as awful as they are, Satanic perhaps, are the only things preserving our species from the brink of extinction.
[edit]
Walter Cronkite is sardonically mocking Pat Robertson that his actions would appear to him, Pat Robertson, as if he, Walter Cronkite, was doing the right hand work of the devil and that also he would gladly wear this shame and take on this challenge to good for everyone.

Walter Cronkite admits he loves SATAN

Is then our species going to bifurcate each with their own solution on how to save our species from extinction with then no inter-agreements among-st our tribal compartments on this planet.

Children of Men (9/10) Movie CLIP - Miracle Cease Fire (2006) HD

The Coming Artilect War

As a species we need find agreement that we do not want to destroy our planet and ourselves with it but also we will disagree on the means to achieving these ends as we have not prepared ourselves well enough on how to find correct and accurate agreements and just what are our REUP beliefs are.
lorem i.
user 119941362
Billings, MT
Post #: 13