addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › Christianity has good and bad in it

Christianity has good and bad in it

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,758
I found this in another forum:
For some people I believe there something emotional going on when it comes to belief in ID. Rational argument is not the way to change their beliefs.

For sure. They want to live in a cosmos with purpose at its core, as opposed to living in a strange universe with no meaning or purpose behind it.

They want things like love and kindness to reflect higher truths, as opposed to being strategys for passing on genetic material.

It's nothing to do with with whether evolution by natural selection is actually true or not, at least, not as far as I can tell.

Explaining the science to them (which many of them do in fact know), is a bit of a waste of time. In fact the science is what turns most of them off.

George Price is perhaps the most interesting (and tragic) example of this sentiment that I know of. He couldn't accept his own groundbreaking evolutionary accounts of altruism and kindness, so he converted to Christianity and gave away his possessions - all to spite his own theories. Eventually he committed suicide.

There are powerful psychological forces at work here.
I think my Mind-Body Problem book helps with regard to this problem.
Helen
user 5766938
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 138
Is this posting related to some other discussion that I am not (we are not) aware of? Not clear. "ID" is ?
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,764
"ID" = "intelligent design."

As I said, I found it in another Forum (not ours).
A former member
Post #: 1,048
some ethical beliefs oblige certain types of actions.

Insulting religion

A former member
Post #: 12
How may a nation or an individual not destroy themselves or other nations when either themselves or other nations or people get too infiltrated with lizard thinking and acting out their lizard and increasing the amount of unnecessary pain, suffering, early death and disability?

I for myself advocate for the ends of the good life as defined in homorationalis.

Let us first restate and look at this rational-ethical ultimate ethical principle:
What should be done is that which will most likely promote the survival of and the good life for our species, that is, for
everyone, now and in the future. The good life is the experiencing of as much joy, appreciation, and contentment as
possible, and therefore as little pain, suffering, disability, and early death as possible.
In Gulliver's Travel,
The Liliputions stayed as ignorant as before when Gulliver had visited.

The Liliputions disregarded the extraordinariness of Gulliver(new evidence) and their island world(consciousness) to update their island with the understanding the extra-ordinary perspective of Gulliver who sees their whole island(world) and all their island issues and who they attacked with their fangs of lizard certainty.

“We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”
Ayn Rand
Plants are smart because they react to the truth in their environment.
Plants do not hide their own internal distress or health.
Plants demonstrate how good their soil is(childhood), what the light is like(good), and the shells of what the plant encounters(good and bad insects).
They grow well with good soil that is not heavily trod upon.
They have an affinity to the light.
Healthy plants in good soil and light do more for others.
Be a plant!