addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Charlotte Zen Meditation Society Message Board › Impermanence and Shenpa

Impermanence and Shenpa

Annie M.
Annie__M
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1
Rochelle mentioned that posting resource online can be helpful, and I tend to agree. I plan on going through that amazing reading list that was posted not long ago. So here is a link to the audiobook I mentioned this evening:

Getting Unstuck by Pema Chodron

In it she refers to shenpa, the hook that makes us attach to thoughts/feelings. I'm totally oversimplifying that concept, but the audiobook is a really great resource. She explains it very well.

I also love Living As a River by Bodhipaksa for understanding impermanence. He also has a guided meditation based on that book The Six Element Meditation.

I realize guided meditation is sort of the complete opposite of Zen, so I apologize if this is not appreciated. Feel free to ignore. But the book is still a good read.

Thank you,
Annie
Rochelle B.
RochelleBrandon
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 25
Thank You so much, Annie! This morning I could not remember the name of this book. I'm going to get the audio version. I have a 5 hour drive coming up Friday, so I plan to listen to this book. Several people have mentioned the concept and the book, but I have always forgotten it by the next day. Gassho
J.R. B.
jrbelschner
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 2
Annie,

Thank you for coming to the meetup this past Sunday and thank you for posting links to these wonderful resources.

In reply to your last comment: guided meditation may be different in form and method from your typical silent meditation, but it may be quite helpful to a beginner whose aim is peaceful relaxation, a place free from the constant pull of our thoughts. Since those links were useful to you we know that they can be helpful to others as well.

Thanks,

J.R.
Rochelle B.
RochelleBrandon
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 27
Annie, you were right. Pena Chodron does an excellent job of discussing 'shenpa' it is just the term to describe my experience of getting hooked by content and emotion. Gassho