Chicago C/C++ Users Group Message Board › planning for the future

planning for the future

A former member
Post #: 26
Only four members, including myself, attended the January meeting. With that sort of attendance I don't feel comfortable asking our gracious hosts at New Horizons to stay late for our meetings. We need to figure out what to do from here, including the possibility of disbanding. Suggestions?
Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Post #: 30
What we need to attract more people is a more focused program: an interesting non-trivial topic from a well-known and well-prepaed presenter. Let's resume our efforts. EVERYONE: Send Olinga your suggestions.

Meanwhile, we can hold informal meetings in smaller venues, i.e. members' homes or offices. I'd be pleased to host a meeting at my place. Although it's not the most convenient location to downtown, it's accessible; see
http://www.idinews.co...­
In return for not having to travel, I'll provide beer and soft drinks. If we want, we can order pizza.
Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Post #: 31
We need to do a better job on publicity. Many of us attend other professional events. We should set out a pile of flyers announcing our next meeting.

At last week's ACM meeting one of the officers mentioned our meeting, but it got lost in a boring recitation of various other events.

I plan to attend February C-SPIN
http://www.c-spin.net...­
The February CJUG
http://www.cjug.org/W...­
looks boring, but I'm often in the building and can drop off a pile of flyers. I just need something concrete to announce.

We should also post flyers on bulletin boards at universities and businesses. I'll take care of Loyola and DePaul, but we need to have a focused meeting announcement with a definite topic.

Nevin ".
nliber
Libertyville, IL
Post #: 9
1. Presentations need to be ready ahead of time. The last two meetings it felt like we were winging it.

2. The original topic was supposed to be a continuation of a previous topic. That will limit your potential audience; if you miss the first meeting, you are far less likely to attend the followup.

3. Meet less often. We really don't have enough presenters to meet monthly.

We are all busy, and coming up with good presentations end up taking a surprising amount of time.

I have some things I'd like to present, but I won't commit to anything until I at least have the first draft done.
A former member
Post #: 27
Nevin-

I was under the impression you were unable to present because of restrictions by your employer. Has that changed?

Agreed on schedule, we'll probably have to go bimonthly or quarterly.
Rene R.
grafikrobot
Evanston, IL
Post #: 2
Personally I didn't join this meetup for formalized presentations in meetings. I'd rather have more informal meetings with hopefully varied C++ subjects being discussed. For example I'd love to talk, in no particular order, about:

* Using C++ in small devices, like the iPhone. Specifically using the STL, Boost, and other C++ libraries.

* Upcoming C++ standard.

* New C++ standard proposals.

* Interesting C++ libraries.. How they are structured? Do they use the language well? Do they use the STL well? For example I use Irrlicht 3D & Boost in every day work and have made some utilities for making them work together. And I would love to hear about other libraries people use to make their C++ lives easier.

* Using C++ with other languages. For example, I have to use Objective C for iPhone development, and I keep trying to improve the interaction between them.. So that I can avoid writing ObjC as much as possible.

* Comparing C++ to other languages with regards to features, including what libraries other languages have that C++ doesn't or has bad ones.

Hence I think moving to a more informal meeting locale is ideal. Some place where we can look at each others laptops, iPads, iPhones, etc. and have caffeine, beer, whatever and have everyone participate more freely. If holding some meetings in Evanston is an option there is one local Cafe establishment which would be ideal. (I don't know the name of it offhand since it recently changed)
A former member
Post #: 28
Rene -

I like the idea but I'm trying to visualize how such discussions would take place. We had a meeting where we discussed a Joel Spolsky article a while back that I think went well but everyone had to read the article first. The article was written such that someone with rudimentary programming knowledge could glean something from the discussion. If we have a discussion about C++0x, how does the membership get up to speed sufficiently to participate? Same goes for interfacing C++ with Obj-C or embedded programming. I'm trying to think of a way that such discussions could serve both the novice and expert while ensuring that if no one with expertise on the subject appears for the meeting then we can still have a meaningful discussion.

Using this format would likely take a lot off my shoulders because finding presenters has been a major pain.

I also like the more informal meeting locale. The meetings in a classroom are not the most pleasant place to be after working in a cube all day. We would probably require someplace with wifi.

The suburbs unfortunately won't be an option for myself personally. It's usually an hour train ride going home from Evanston since the Purple Line Express ends around 6:30. Most of the other suburbs are more difficult or impossible to access for car-free people like myself.

I attended another tech Meetup at Panera Bread. It was nice and we had plenty to talk about but only three people showed up. I wonder how well this format would work for a dozen or more people.
Omar
user 8731743
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Hello everyone, my name Ivan De Santiago.

My friend Lupo and I could not go to the last meeting.
Unfurtunately, we had to meet at school to finish with a project.
However, we look forward to meet you all at the next meeting.
Maxim K.
user 5043125
Saint Charles, IL
Post #: 2
I think an informal meetup would be better. If people want to present though, we can have a block of time that we can do that too.

I haven't attended yet, but want to make it to the next meeting. Good luck!
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm new to the group and I'd like to make it to the next session. I won't be able to contribute much to a discussion at first, unfortunately, as I'm just learning c++, so I'd mainly be trying to pick up on subjects that the more experienced folks are discussing. Quarterly meetings are fine by me, and informal is fine as well.