A former member
Post #: 1
Hello. My husband and I are a little over four weeks pregnant with our first child. I’m 33 years old, in generally good health (with some anxiety issues), and we live in the south suburbs. I am very interested in learning more about homebirth: health requirements (is there a checklist?), CNMs, doulas, MD backups, hospital affiliations (if necessary), insurance, prenatal visits (in an office or our home), etc. I also love the idea of a waterbirth. My husband is an RN so he is cautiously open-minded at this point. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!

Sue M.
Evanston, IL
Post #: 466
I have a very good friend (she was at both of my births) who lives in the south suburbs. She is a doula as well as studying to be a CNM. She had a homebirth and hired a CPM from Indiana. If you are interested in speaking with her I could pass on her information to you. She could refer you to her CPM or you might be interested in hiring her as a doula. I do remember she had a hard time finding someone to do a homebirth with her down in the south suburbs. my email is marsdog13ATyahooDOTcom.
Jo Anne L.
Evanston, IL
Post #: 294
The Chicago based midwives will go to the south side! There is also a midwife in the south west suburbs but she may be too far. Some people have an aversion to driving into the city. It is really not that bad. If you are looking for options look at the BirthLink web site. You also need to know that there are some direct entry midwives that may not be well trained. I'm happy to talk about this with you. Just give me a call.

There is no licensing or regulation of the non nurse midwives. This can be tricky to navigate. I'm happy to help.

Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
Childbirth & Family Wellness
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175 (mailing address only)
Evanston, IL 60201