addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Chicago-area Homebirth Meetup Group Message Board Referrals › Anyone know of a Chicago-area CNM that accepts Cigna for home birth?

Anyone know of a Chicago-area CNM that accepts Cigna for home birth?

Colleen
user 21363391
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
I am looking for a Chicago-area Certified Nurse Midwife that can perform a home birth and is covered by Cigna health insurance? I have the Open Access plan.
A former member
Post #: 19
As far as I know, there are only two home-birth CNMs in the city, Sarah Simmons and Hillary Kaiser. Debbie Boucher also works in the area. I delivered with Jen, who has since moved to Canada, and my insurance (United) covered some of it. Jen had someone she worked with who billed insurance for her.

Maybe this isn't that helpful, but you could just call or email Sarah, Hillary, and Debbie and ask. I'm sure they all get that question all the time.

Best of luck!
A former member
Post #: 2
None of the home birth midwives are on the Cigna network but we all submit claims, so it would be covered at the out-of-network rate. I can help you estimate your cost if want to call me at 847-816-4640.

Debbie Boucher, CNM
Jo Anne L.
bestbirth
Evanston, IL
Post #: 305
It is always a good idea to check directly with the office of the home birth midwives regarding insurance. They are happy to talk to you about this. Often parents talk with their insurance company and they say things like - no we don't cover home birth or midwives at all - when this is not true. Talk to your insurance company after you have talked with a midwife practice about this issue. It is complicated and you need to know what coverage you have - before you get pregnant. There are not that many homebirth midwives - even the CPM's that are licensed in Wisconsin can take insurance. There are six practices that I know of. About half of homebirth parents pay out of pocket for the birth - insurance or not. There are too many issues to cover in this post. If you have questions please call me. I think too many people give up on this point alone.

Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
Childbirth & Family Wellness
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175 (mailing address only)
Evanston, IL 60201
847-733-8050

www.birthlink.com