Chicago MST3K Group Message Board › Weekend Discussion Post - Who wants to tell the story of how they became a M

Weekend Discussion Post - Who wants to tell the story of how they became a MSTie?

Mike A.
Mike_Albright
Group Organizer
Elgin, IL
Post #: 23
I tried this on the Facebook page last week, and got some nice response. I'll start, though I admit my story isn't particularly inspiring:

I'd seen snippets of the show in hotels in the early '90s -- the context of these hotel stays I couldn't relay, as I was in my early teens -- and knew roughly what the show was, but never got to solidly sit and watch it until MTV, for reasons I've never been able to learn, aired a single episode a couple times over the course of a weekend: "Alien From L.A. I loved it, my best friend, who came over loved it (for YEARS we would declare ourselves to be "back, and more Australian than ever"), and I to this day regret that I hadn't been able to tape that episode.

My aunt lived in Racine, WI, where they'd been getting Comedy Central from Day 1 (on a side note, I think it would be awesome if there was a channel like the Comedy Channel now; they mostly ran stand-up comedy, comedy movies and old sitcoms/SNL bits. "Short Attention Span Theatre," ironically, could entertain me for hours), and so when I made all the appropriate connections, she agreed to start taping the show for me. The first episode I was able to watch over and over again was the non-Turkey Day "Night of the Blood Beast." I was pretty much already hooked by this time, but then I went to college.

After a semester of college, I moved in with my sister, who had gone to the same school. She'd had pretty much the same idea as I did, but she wasn't confined to what our aunt could irregularly record; she had Comedy Central and a programmable VCR. About 20 episodes went into heavy rotation in our place (again, I really wish Alien from LA had been one of them), for a few months leading up to the premiere of Season 8 on the Sci-Fi Channel. I came into the game pretty late, but only because Rockford couldn't be bothered to pick up Comedy Central until well after I left home.