align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

ChicagoVeg» Chicagoland Vegetarian-Vegan-RawFood Community Message Board › Chicago March Against Monsanto This Saturday @ Noon

Chicago March Against Monsanto This Saturday @ Noon

Laura
user 74636942
Elmwood Park, IL
Post #: 5
Chicago March Against Monsanto This Saturday @ Noon
https://www.facebook.com/events/341789835927108/­

Former Pro-GMO Scientist Speaks Out On The Real Dangers of Genetically Engineered Food
http://www.foodrevolution.org/blog/former-pro-gmo-scientist/­

I met Marjorie C. L. Fisher (1923-2009) at an organic-friendly dinner in 2007. Fate, I believe, sat us next to each other. She was so enthusiastic and knowing that I gleamed on her every word. While I had been on the "healthy eating" path for almost 30 years at the time, Marjorie was on the same path for more than 50 years! Quickly I realized how blessed I was to be sitting next to this extraordinary and knowledgeable person.

One of the numerous things that we shared was that our lives' trajectory had changed after we read a book. For Marjorie, it was "Let's Cook It Right" by Adelle Davis. For me, it was "Diet for a Small Planet" by Francis Moore Lappe. These books were the beginning of our journeys into healthy, eco-friendly eating and living.

Marjorie was also an activist. She became active against pesticides and toxic chemicals and encouraged others to embrace an organic eating regime. She installed H2O filters and solar panels and created a native and edible all-organic garden for her home. Never giving up or seemingly slowing down, at age 83, Marjorie was interviewed on TV about pesticides and toxic chemical build-up in Lake Michigan.

A few days after I met Marjorie, I received a hand-written letter from her that I still have and treasure. It was the beginning of a way-to-short friendship and back and forth correspondence. When Marjorie passed, I felt as if I'd lost not only a comrade but also a mentor.

I'm so grateful to have known Marjorie. It gives me great comfort to know that even after passing, one's spirit and positive influence can live on as Marjorie's lives on in me.

So this Memorial Day weekend, I will be Marching Against Monsanto in Chicago in the spirit of Marjorie Fisher for I know that if she, the feisty force-to-be-reckoned- with that she was, could be there in person she would be!

Laura Bruzas