ChicagoVeg» Chicagoland Vegetarian-Vegan-RawFood Community Message Board › ☼ NEW MEETUP IDEAS ☼

☼ NEW MEETUP IDEAS ☼

Reid
user 8855234
Chicago, IL
Post #: 13
Late Afternoon Tour of the Magnificent Baha'i Temple and Potluck Dinner on the Lake (Wilmette)

I would like to host an event which would include a late afternoon potluck at Gillson Park on the lake in Wilmette and a free official tour of the famous Baha'i temple which is a very short walk from the park. These are the two parts of the event. I prefer late afternoon because the UV index is lower than earlier in the day. The order in which we do these things doesn't matter, though it would have to be determined before the event would be posted so that I could arrange things with the temple. Note that photographs inside the temple are not allowed during regular visits and may well not be allowed during tours.

Baha'i temple
Gillson Park

It is 21 miles from downtown Chicago with an estimated driving time of 32 to 45 minutes, depending on traffic. Those with cars who would be willing to take passengers would be asked to self-identify and list their rules/pickup point availability.

This could be done during the summer or early fall. [UPDATE: I think after Labor Day would be best, because the park is quite crowded during the summer weekends.]

If you (Vadim) would be favorable to presenting this proposal to the organizers, I propose that I start a message discuss it before it is put on the table, so that it can be shaped with some input from our organizers and our community.

Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 171
Thank you for your suggestion Reid. I have personal connection to this area and I like it a lot. Go head and start a new discussion about it if you need to. I would love if Anne or Lori who are ChicagoVeg Organizers from north suburbs or any other organizers would work with you to make it happen.

Kimberly
purrgirl
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 80
I just wanted to emphasis the idea brought up by a member that we have a "Meet and Greet" ( i think that was what it was called ) - for the new vegs to learn from the old vegs. :) Lots of people seemed to interested in this too.

I think something like this is a wonderful idea. When I became a veg 20 years ago, i wish there was something like this for me back then!:) I had no one to help me, knew no vegs and I fumbled along (and not very well at times too!). I think it is important to have people to learn from to make the transition easier for the newbies. It is not necessary to be alone in your transition in this day and age esp. with a group like this!

Now I am at the "other end" of the "journey"(so to speak) so I would be happy to answer newbie questions that I can and, if we had a meetup of this sort, as I know what a challenge it can be with no one to help you out.
Suzette
user 13226536
McHenry, IL
Post #: 1
Vadim,

I know it's a hike but I would love to do a meetup/potluck up here at Independence Grove in Libertyville. It's a forest preserve with kayaking, canoing, a small beach, bike and walking trails and a great bluff overlooking the lakes which we have an incredible yoga class on early Saturday mornings in the summer. We could definitely get 50+ people there. The metra train comes into Libertyville and I would be willing to pick up people and drop them off after. It's an incredible place.

HEY!!! THIS IS RIGHT BY MY HOUSE!! I WOULD LOVE TO DO THIS BEFORE THE SNOW COMES!!!!!!!!!!
~ SUZETTE
Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 221
Sorry for such late response.

Robert - If you have any idea for a place to show a movie or do some kind of Veg potluck/party during the winter please let me know.

Kimberly - "Meet & Greet" is something that should be incorporated in every our potluck. However, I am totally open to do it more consciously at some of our upcoming events.

Suzette - We have already had the potluck in Libertyville. However, Lori plans something again so check with her about the upcoming event in north suburbs. You can offer your help to her organizing it if you feel up for this wink
A former member
Post #: 6
Holistic moms is haveing a food event. Organic food: From the farmer to the chef.
Friday, March 18th, 6:30pm

Speaker Greg Christian chef, author who started the Organic School Project in 2005 will be hosting the Movie "FRESH". FRESH is a movie about modern food production and supply, and how we can fix it. Then order good food from Local Farmers.

Arlington Heights Memorial Library
Lucas
user 10749554
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
Sweet Tomato is a great spot that offers food at a low cost. I think that would be a great place to have a meet-up for lunch or dinner. They have an amazing unlimited salad bar and cooked bar that offers many vegan/vegetarian options.
A former member
Post #: 222
My friend, George, has a place called Cedar Grill on Ogden Ave in Downers Grove. Although this Mediterranean restaurant currently serves meat as well as Vegan options he is a gourmet Vegan chef who has catered our holiday meals. He said we could reserve the restaurant...he wouldn't sell meat that night.. & he would create ALL Vegan specialty dishes if we could commit to 45 people at $15 each...what do you think??
Lyn
user 13474680
Chicago, IL
Cedar Grill sounds like an amazing invitation ♥
Vishal
user 12383936
Chicago, IL
I agree with Jessica/Lori (I think I am remembering the names right) about heading to Independence Grove. However, I would rather push those off till Summer. I have been there and it's a great place because you can either take a nice walk with couple people, or maybe have a private walk with someone that you just end up clicking with, or you can enjoy some activities (kayaking, volleyball, etc.) or just back and relax and enjoy.
Along those lines, Zion has another resort (awesome place) that could be done over the summer. However, Zion is about 30 min further north of Independence Grove. The resort is just great. It does not have kayaking, the fake beach, etc. that Independence Grove has but it actually has a real beach (sorta) and volleyball ground.