Classic Literature Book Club Message Board › 100 Books Everyone Should Read Before They Die (According to amazon)

100 Books Everyone Should Read Before They Die (According to amazon)

Chris K.
ChrisKubica
Group Organizer
Chapel Hill, NC
Amazon book editors have just released a list of their 100 Books To Read In A Lifetime.
Here's also a news story about it:
http://www.businessin...­
Should we read any of these? Thoughts?
Chris K
Organizizer
Lisa
user 13368884
Durham, NC
Post #: 3
I saw many that I would like to read if someone feels passionately about it. Bel Canto, Cutting for Stone and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas are ones that leap out at me. The Handmaid's Tale is one I would be happy to reread.

Not on the list but one that is on my shelf and wanting attention is Studs Turkel's Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression. Is there any group interest in this one?
Evelyn D.
EvelynDaniel
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 19
I'm a sucker for these lists. Thanks for sending. In my long life I've read all but 6 of the titles. One I haven't read and would nominate is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. On one of the other lists (7 SciFi must reads) there's Philip Dick's Do androids dream of Electric Sheep? the novel on which the film Blade Runner was based -- In a turnaround for me, I've seen the film but haven't read the book. I was also intrigued by the list of 5 books to read before 30, none of which had I read -- although I'm well beyond 30. Seneca's Letters from a Stoic looked appealing, as does Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin to Munger by Peter Bevelin (a book I've never heard of).
Might we be interested in reading Middlemarch (George Eliott) pared with the new book by Rebecca Mead, My Life in Middlemarch?