addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Williamsburg Buddhist Meditation Group Message Board › Workshop in Hampton by Geshe Lobsang Tenzin Negi

Workshop in Hampton by Geshe Lobsang Tenzin Negi

Williamsburg, VA
Post #: 33
To all amy dear meditationg friends - Beverely and I were priviledged to attend the workshop and I wrote some brief notes - Ben asked me to share them with you - so here they are.....what a SPECTACULAR day! Nancy

August 3rd, 2013 – Healing Power of Compassion Workshop – American Theatre – Hampton
Geshe Lobsang Tenzin Negi – Trained At Drepung Loseling Monastery in south India & PHD at Emory in 1999 - Emory University, Atlanta, GA – Leading center for study of Tibetan philosophy and religion in the West.
Three levels of Compassion:

1. Empathy = notice/Identification of suffering
2. Want to relieve others suffering
3. Action = to help relieve suffering in any possible way.

Strive to develop empathetic accuracy thru practice & training

Possible to read the mind thru eyes – this can be studied by scanners – research is being done regarding this.
CBCT = Cognitive-based Compassion Training = 6 components drawn from Lojong Tradition of Indo-Tiebetan Buddhism, but rendered into secular form (for everyone)

1. Develop attention stability
2. Cultural insights into thoughts & emotions
3. Self Compassion
4. Develop impartiality
5. Develop affectionate Love & Empathy
6. Strengthening compassion “endearment” – we are all inter-related and we must develop the independence of all!

I asked the question can one have too much empathy? The following was his response

You can’t have too much empathy – but you must have developed a positive level of self worth…..

This is something I continue to think about and meditate on - it might also be a good discussion for one of our Dharma talks. Much Love to all - Nancy
Ben T.
Group Organizer
Williamsburg, VA
Post #: 13
This is fascinating, Nancy. Did he recommend any books that have been published connected to his studies, or that talk more about Cognitive-based Compassion Training? I've head about one called Buddha's Brain, but I don't know if it's directly related or not.
Bob T.
Williamsburg, VA
Post #: 9
Ben, Buddha's Brain is a book and CDs by Rick Hanson, PhD, which I would recommend. Also I would recommend his series of 6 CDs called The Enlightened Brain, the neuroscience of awakening. Rick Hanson is a well-know neuropsychologist and a Buddhist. He has a newsletter that is quite good. Look it up. He writes not only about meditative practices but also what is going on in the brain when you are at certain stages of meditation. He really is great nd has an wonderful way of expressing himself. If one were to learn nothing but Taking in the Good, one would achieve a lot. Bob Turvene
Williamsburg, VA
Post #: 36
No Bed - he didn't recommend any books - Bob's informations sounds interesting though.....