R.P. B.
user 13652913
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Set forth below is an impassioned plea from Michael O'Hare regarding his current project, The Little Bear of St. Elmo's Forest, and his Kickstarter campaign related to it.

The reason I'm sharing his e-mail with you is that Michael, very clearly and very eloquently, makes the case for the need to have the "crowd" participate in crowdfunding.

Even if you have no love of children's books, surely there's someone among your friends and acquaintances who might be interested in the story and might be interested, first, in contributing, even a small amount, but, and this is the more important point, second, telling their own friends and acquaintances about the book and about the Kickstarter campaign to fund a printing of it.

Please read Michael's e-mail and think about what he's saying.  If crowdfunding has a chance of succeeding on a very real, day-to-day level (as opposed to some of the gargantuan projects that get reported by the media daily) it's in practicing the "art of community".

Thank you for your attention and consideration.

Ray

"R.P.

I hope you are having a great Saturday.   My total is at $247.   It's a pretty good start.

I am grateful for your support and your emails to the group.   Please don't take this email the wrong way.  I'm just questioning the group members commitment.

I am surprised that no one from our crowdfunding group has pledged or offered to help.  Not even  a dollar.  They aren't even promoting or offering to help.  Not even a tweet.   It's their prerogative.  It's their time and their money.

I'm committed to the group.  I've spend many hours and a lot of gas to attend the meetings, which thanks to you, are very informative.  I have given away the ebook, which again practically no one has downloaded.

I realize that a children's book is not glamorous or that exciting. But this the only active project currently from our group.   I don't think a tweet or a facebook post by some of the members is too much to ask.   Do you?

I'm willing to share my experience with the group.  I'm willing to share what I know about social media.  There has to be reciprocity.

The Colorado Crowdfunding group will not make or break my project.   But the group can have a huge positive impact.  However, if these people are sincerely interested in crowdfunding and how it works they need to jump into the pool.  Crowdfunding takes a CROWD.   A lot of people doing just a little.

I agree with you and with Kickstarter that you should avoid asking for support, or for help or for contribution.  What I'm asking is for the group members to join in the experience.  Yes, I directly benefit.  But so do they.  I've backed 155 projects.  I've learned a tremendous amount.  All of these experiences will prove to be invaluable when equity based crowdfunding becomes legal.

Sincerely,

Michael O'Hare"