add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
Michael J
Littleton, CO
Post #: 2

Does anyone out there program games in Java using the LWJGL to employ OpenGL graphics?

I program cross-platform in Java for both the Android and Desktop(PC) and I have ran into a few snags converting my projects from 2D (Canvas/Bitmap drawing) to 3D (OpenGL) and just had a few general questions for someone who has some specific experience with LWJGL (Lightweight Java Game Library).

A former member
Post #: 43
I might be able to help. I used LWJGL a lot many years ago. I'm sure it's changed a lot though.
Michael J
Littleton, CO
Post #: 3
No problem... I just some general questions about LWJGL. Basically since Java does not natively support OpenGL, I had to choose something to render graphics with (as the built in 2D canvas does not give me the frame rate that I need). I've tried libGDX, JOGL (Java OpenGL), and now I am using the LWJGL because it seems to simply be a direct layer (not an engine) to the OpenGL functions that were designed for C/C++. So I like it (very clean/slim). My questions were more along the lines of a "review" as I am beginning to put a lot of time into LWJGL and will probably ship my product with it:

Did you find LWJGL "buggy"?
Does LWJGL perform well?
Are there obvious limitations that you ran into with LWJGL?

I know that there are forums out there that have a bit of this info, but I was curious to know what someone local thought.

A former member
Post #: 44
I used LWJGL almost a decade ago (man, it's been that long??), well before shaders were popular and well before OpenGL 2.0. I used it for the same reason you are, get better performance in a 2D game.

Back then LWJGL's API was in massive flux. Even upgrading a minor release was very difficult. So I picked a stable build and stuck with it. If I had to guess, LWJGL is much more stable these days.

JOGL was around back then too, and I definitely preferred LWJGL. It's simpler, more to the point, and all it did was surface OpenGL, OpenAL and gamepads into Java.

Back then I was also active on the Java gaming forums and spoke with the LWJGL authors a fair amount. Definitely a couple of smart dudes who back then were making amazing games.

If I found myself back in Java again, I'd definitely look to LWJGL again.

I am surprised there isn't a good Java solution that uses OpenGL for 2D graphics.