Colorado independent Game Developers Association (CiGDA) Message Board CiCGA- General Discussion Forum › Looking for feedback on a website I'm working on

Looking for feedback on a website I'm working on

A former member
Post #: 70
Hey everyone, I'm wrapping up my next article for buildnewgames, where I am comparing popular JavaScript game engines.

As a companion to the article, I made a website that is strongly modeled after Addy Osmani's TodoMVC:
http://city41.github....­

If anyone has a few spare minutes, could you give the site a whirl? Do the three breakouts work OK for you? Any suggestions or problems?

Currently, of the three breakouts, only the Impact one works well on mobile devices. That also might just be the way it is, Impact is the only engine of the three that really focused on mobile.
Megan F.
shalinor
Group Organizer
Broomfield, CO
Post #: 29
Tried it on my iPad and, yep, only Impact was particularly good. That said, it was surprisingly so. Didn't expect it to work.
A former member
Post #: 71
Thanks for checking it out!

Yeah Impact is really well done. I wrote the game for desktop browsers and it just worked as-is on mobile.

I think I can get the other two acceptable on mobile, which I'm going to do to help flesh out the mobile section of the article. Crafty is weird as it detects its on a mobile device but assumes it has the screen dimensions of a phone, so does some bizarre things on tablets.
Jesse
SpaceCowboy
Denver, CO
Post #: 13
Some notes on my experience of about 10 minutes this morning on Iphone 4, Safari:

Impact worked well, altho no sounds.

Crafty was buggy and jerky; pretty much un-playable. However, Crafty was the only one i ever heard sounds on.

Lime plays, but pretty jerky.
A former member
Post #: 73
Thanks Jesse, that's consistent with some other reports I've been getting.

The Lime version went from completely unplayable on mobile to somewhat playable. I think that's the best I'm going to pull off. I even had the authors of each engine review my code.

Impact recommends disabling sounds on iOS because of some bugs in Mobile Safari.

Sadly HTML5 gaming on mobile devices has a ways to go.
A former member
Post #: 74
Phew, I was able to get both the Lime and Crafty versions working somewhat well on an iPhone 4 and first gen iPad. Except for sound, for sure the audio tag is jacked on iOS.

Ironically, the solution for Crafty was to set "Crafty.mobile = false" to disable the automatic mobile-ish stuff Crafty is trying to do and set the game up for the phone manually.

Even still, of the three only the Impact version is actually playable. The Lime and Crafty versions teder on the edge of playability. I'm sure if I had the time I could optimize the crap out of them and get them working, but that's an awful lot of work for Breakout!

There is also Ejecta, CocoonJS, etc which take JS games and translate their canvas calls to OpenGL ES on mobile devices. That's the true way to go if you want to do JS on mobile.