Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Newbie...and it's getting rough...

Newbie...and it's getting rough...

Jennifer B.
Drakan59
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 420
Hi! I'm a newbie to the plant-based lifestyle, and I'm finding it difficult to find things I can eat without getting bored. At the moment I eat a banana for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and crackers with almond butter at dinner. Sometimes I'll steam up some spinach or broccoli. Most recipes have things I'm allergic to or just can't eat...like avocado, whole nuts, strawberries, and radishes. I also haven't been able to force myself to eat kale. I don't know what to do with it. I've bought it and had it just sit in my fridge until I threw it out...twice! I just feel lost. Help!
JL F.
user 25105732
Group Organizer
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 47
Hi Jennifer! My advice is to think in terms of the five vegan food groups:

1. Vegetables
2. Fruit
3. Beans/legumes (includes tofu and tempeh)
4. Grains
5. Nuts/seeds

When you make a point to incorporate each of these foods into your daily meal plan you will see that there are so many delicious options!

I love to sauté kale in olive oil, garlic and almond slivers. I serve it in a bowl with brown rice or quinoa, and tofu, lentils or black beans.

I'm a big fan of nontraditional breakfast, like bean soup or oatmeal with garlic and veggies (instead of fruit).

Hope this helps!
Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 203
Hi Jennifer, Good advice from JL. I thought I would add some of my personal favorites for meals as well.

Breakfasts: Toast and Almond butter would be great for breakfast. Or we do protein shakes with berries, bananas, almond milk, and a protein powder almost every morning. Good way to get most of your fruit for the day.

For lunch and dinners Mexican food is usually really easy. Taco salads, rice and bean burritos or black bean/re-fried bean tacos and tostadas. Lately I have been making a quesadilla with re-fried beans, Daiya cheese and green chilies (from a can). So easy to fry up in coconut oil. Serve with chips and salsa.
Mini pizzas are good too and add a salad. You can make them from english muffins and then toast and add all toppings. Then throw them in the oven for 5 minutes or so.

One of my favorite online websites when looking for recipes is this one: http://vegweb.com/...­

There is a tip for eating kale. I like it with olive oil and apple cider vinegar and salt. Break the pieces off the stalk. You have to massage the kale pieces with olive oil maybe a few minutes. That breaks it down a little. Then add a favorite dressing or even nutritional yeast. Here is one video on preparing a kale salad: http://www.youtube.co...­ Once I learned this it made eating kale so much better.

Hope that helps a little : )

Lisa
Barb
user 12018383
Denver, CO
Post #: 17
Jennifer I felt the same way when I first made the switch, I really had no idea what to make! Like Lisa said, Mexican food can be a lifesaver, or if you like pasta you can make the whole wheat kind with red sauce and a ton of veggies (whichever kinds you like!) and Happy Herbivore has a yummy alfredo sauce that got me over some rough patches: http://happyherbivore...­
(you can use regular AP flour if you prefer)

If you like garlic, I think kale is really delicious water-sauteed with powdered garlic (after you remove the leaves from the stems of course)

Anyway, stay strong! It'll get easier, I promise :)

Kelly A.
texasbounce
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 38
Hi Jennifer,
For kale, I saute it in coconut milk until it gets soft/chewable, with whatever spices I feel like that day (usually Indian, like a Garam Masala spice mix). Then serve over rice. I love it! The coconut milk makes it fattening though.

Invest in some vegan cookbooks. I really like The Vegan Table. It sounds weird, but one of my favorite things for breakfast is steamed broccoli & rice, sprinkled with nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast can become your best friend, once you get a taste for it.

The other people are right -- it WILL get easier. You will start to get cravings for these healthy foods!
Jennifer B.
Drakan59
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 422
My thanks to all of you! I'll try the kale sauteed in coconut milk. I used to do that with spinach when the kids were little to get them to eat it! I'll also try looking in some vegan cook books for things that look to my taste. Again, thank you for the support!
Becky
user 35296732
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 2
Becoming vegan took me about 7 years - did it gradually - no panicking