addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Enhancing a Healthy Veg Diet

Enhancing a Healthy Veg Diet

Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 15
In addition to being a veg there is ways we can enhance our health. Here are 10 great tips from Better Nutrition Dec 07. I apply these tips to my life. My comments are in parenthesis : )

1. Eat Chocolate: Dark Chocolate - 70 % cocoa or more- is low in Sugar and high in antioxidants. (Personal favorite Chocolove Brand)

2. Stay Natural. Avoid processed foods; most contain artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. (Going organic eliminates a lot of the "unnatural foods" )

3. Spice up your life. Pungent and aromatic spices have healing properties and add calorie- free flavor to food. Try tumeric, ginger, garlic and cayenne. (Add sea salt vs table salt)

4. Go Raw. Raw foods are rich in enzymes. Add several servings of raw fruit and a big green salad every days (tip: Try sprouted bread like Ezekiel bread)

5. Go Nuts. Studies show they reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other conditions. Best picks: almonds and walnuts.

6. Use Olive Oil. It has anti-inflammatory benefits, and reduces the risk of cancer and heart disease.

7. Avoid artificial sweeteners. There's not enough information on long-term health risks, and short-term news isn't good. Try Stevia or agave. (If you can't break the soft drink addiction (like me) there is a great cheap soda they sell at Whole Foods- 365 brand.)

8. Practice clean living. Eat an organic diet.

9. Eat Superfoods. Focus on foods instead of just supplements. Seven to eat every day; prunes, blueberries, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, nuts, and pumpkin. (onions and garlic are Superfoods too)

10. Smile : )