addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Books for Vegetarian Men

Books for Vegetarian Men

Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 34
Bob Harper, the motivating trainer on NBC's The Biggest Loser- recently switched to a vegetarian diet, resulting in a cholesterol drop of 100 points. What brought him to a veg conclusion was the books, Skinny Bitch, The Blue Zones and The Engine 2 Diet. (Article in Vegetarian Times).

"The Engine 2 Diet" is written by an athlete turned firefighter. And has great reviews on Amazon.com and is recommended by athletes like Lance Armstrong.

http://www.theengine2...­

Also the writers of "Skinny Bitch" wrote "Skinny Bastard" but per the reviews looks likes it's mostly the same info as the original book just for men.

Hopefully more books like this will get more men to take a new look at the benefits of vegetarian diet!
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 25
This is great! I'll definitely have to check these out for my husband. Heather recently got me interested in another book as well...which has also sparked my husband's interest (especially since we both love to work out and train for various runs and triathlons).

http://www.brendanbrazier.com/book/index.html­

"Brendan Brazier is one of only a few professional athletes in the world whose diet is 100 percent plant-based. He’s a professional Ironman triathlete, bestselling author on performance nutrition, and the creator of an award-winning line of whole food nutritional products called VEGA. He is also a two-time Canadian 50km Ultra Marathon Champion. In 2007 Brendan returned to Capital Hill to lobby against the Farm Bill and was named one of the most 25 Fascinating Vegetarians by VegNews magazine. He took advantage of the extra time on his hands and wrote a book that outlined the successful diet that had helped him improve his athletic performance at an above-average rate. THRIVE: A guide to optimal health and performance through plant-based whole foods "

- part of bio from Brendan Brazier's website

Anyway, it's great to see vegetarian/vegan Men be so successful in their training and goals (making the "meat eaters" stop to think). The success men and women are having with this type of lifestyle change makes so much sense. I know it makes my husband feel better to see these type of influential, athletic men making the change! Knowledge is power and now we have more of a reason to defend ourselves when we get the all time dreaded questions.... like "How do you get your protein?".

A former member
Post #: 18
.... like "How do you get your protein?".

I am always getting that question or most times it is presented as a statement "You must be protein deficient, that's why you are so thin". I have weighed the same since my youngest daughter was born (who just turned 6) and didn't become veggie till about 2 years ago. Besides, before I had kids I was 40 pounds lighter. Some folks get on my nerves but I guess they can not all be as enlightened as we veggies. :) I am all to happy to enlighten them. What's really silly is that most of the ones that say that are friends I have had a really long time, like 10+ years. Duh, you know I was thin before.

One person actually told me that my muscles will go flabby if I do not eat meat. (they are kinda flabby because I am too busy being a mom to workout regularly - or at all, not from lack of meat). Yes, eating dead animals apparently gives you big muscles folks. Oh please.

Oh well, gotta laugh about it or I'll smack someone. :) haha.
Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 36
Being the reality show addict that I am I recently learned that John Salley is a vegan. Check out his interview.

Chat with John Salley
Print
SportsNation

Salley won four rings with three different teams.
Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, four-time NBA champion John Salley will stop by to chat about the upcoming NBA playoffs.

Salley earned his rings playing for three different teams. The first two rings came as a member of the Detroit Pistons. He was a member of the "Bad Boys" Pistons team that won back-to-back titles in the 1988-89 and 1989-90 seasons. His third ring came while playing on the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls team that set an NBA record by winning 72 games. He also played on the 1999-2000 champion L.A. Lakers team.

Now that his playing days are over, Salley has been working with PETA, urging students to consider vegetarianism. Salley became a vegetarian 17 years ago and now he'll be helping PETA host two veggie-burger giveaways to students in the Chicago area. The students' lunches will be provided by Chicago's Soul Veg Restaurant. Other vegetarian athletes include Prince Fielder of the Milwaukee Brewers, Raja Bell of the Charlotte Bobcats, and Olympic legend Carl Lewis. For more information, go to PETA.org.

Send your questions now and join Salley on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. ET/2:30 p.m. CT!

MORE
ESPNChicago.com | Previous chat guests | SportsNation Index

John Salley (3:31 PM)
I'm John Salley and I'm a vegan. I'm a vegan because I'm only four pounds heaver than I was in 1989.

Luke (Charlotte)
How did you make the decision to go vegetarian?

John Salley (3:34 PM)
I was a vegetarian first. I had high blood pressure at 27, everybody in my family died of cancer and I new it was in the food so I changed my diet.
Evan (Phoenix)

Do you think the NBA has made the rules too easy for the players these days? I think a lot of guys wouldn't have been able to play against your Pistons teams.

John Salley(3:36 PM)
The Pistons teams made the rules change. We made them chance 10 rules to be exact. Rules were put in because of the way the Piston played. Player have always been able to adapt to the changes so I think some of them would be able to play against us.
karl (WV)

You were one of the original ''Bad Boys'' so I've always wondered, how did you go to play for the Bulls?

John Salley (3:39 PM)
I did this for a living so if I was work. If I was working for Apple and Microsoft hired me to do the something for the dame pay I would leave to.
P.S. Ask the Pistons how they can traded me ...wink
fred (TX)

Do you wear any of your title rings?

John Salley (3:39 PM)
No ...
TJ (Austin, TX)

What kind of work are you doing with PETA?

John Salley (3:42 PM)
I did a PSA about a year ago with PETA since then they have invited me to speak about the health benefits of being a vegetarian.
Franklin (Los Angeles)

I was diagnosed with Gout a few years ago...would a vegetarian diet help cure my Gout?

John Salley (3:43 PM)
A vegan will. You can always go through a body detox and visit www.karynraw.com. Check out her detox and it will help heal your gout.
Vicky and Kelly (Los Angeles)

We just love your style. Where do you buy your clothes?

John Salley (3:45 PM)
My stylist pick all my clothes. It's funny because their name are Vicky and Kelly too!
Brandon Toledo,Ohio

did guys ever mess with you knowing you didn't eat meat

John Salley (3:48 PM)
No, no one ever really messes with me!
John Salley (3:49 PM)

Check out www.johnsalleyfoods.com. Live life to the fullest!