Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Future Bookclub Book Ideas

Future Bookclub Book Ideas

Liz C.
user 10934895
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 4
The book club meetup for Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran-Foer was excellent. We talked about doing another one in the future sometime, so I thought I'd start a thread to get everyone's input on ideas for books that would be good for a future book club. Some of my ideas (as well as some I remember other people mentioning) are:

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair - I don't know if this is something that everyone has already read because it is such a classic, but I was really moved by it.

The China Study by T. Colin Campbell

Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: an Introduction to Carnism by Melanie Joy

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 63
Thanks for starting Liz! I too thoroughly enjoyed our Eating Animals bookclub meetup and look forward to our next one.

The China Study is excellent. I feel like I could read it again because there is a lot information to take in. It's easy to get bogged down with the scientific side of things and at times hard to get through but it's a thought provoking book and ultimately is what influenced me to go Vegan! His study is thorough and credible and you can't ignore the findings (findings that a lot of people may be shocked to hear). Definitely some good discussion here.

Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows has caught my attention due to the fact she is a psychologist and might add the psychology aspect to just that.....why we love dogs, eat pigs and wear cows. However, after reading some of the reviews it might be redundant information that we are all already familiar with (the horrors of factory farming, etc.). It is still a book I'd like to read and explore her theory on "Carnism". I found one review on Amazon that said: While two chapters of the book (necessarily) present the facts about modern meat production, the other five chapters delineate the psychological and social mechanisms that allow for such mass production of animal products in the first place, and such a comprehensive analysis has never before been presented. It will probably make for good discussion revolving around the inconsistencies in how people treat animals.

I have not read The Jungle but would like to.

Has anyone read the books below? Again, the titles make me believe we are all already familiar with where he's going but maybe there is some thought provoking discussion in each. I plan to comb through the reviews, when I get time, to see what other people are saying.
When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson
The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson
The Face on Your Plate: The Truth About Food by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson

Also, check out Lisa's topic on the message board of recommended books to read. She has a few more listed that might spark some interest!
Jay also sparked some interest, on the message board, with the book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn
Elizabeth
user 8091234
Fargo, ND
Post #: 80
The FM (Fargo and Moorhead, North Dakota and Minnesota) Veg group has a bookclub as well. I started it, because it was an awesome idea.

We have read Skinny Bitch, that stirred up a LOT of controversy.
For Bea, a short novel about a beagle that was tested on.
Mad Cowboy
No More Bull
China Study

We will soon be reading

Obligate Carnivore - about pets when you are vegan
Vegetarian America

Hope this gives you guys some ideas!
Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 84
Our Bookclub Meetup went really well and I am so glad we had the participation that we did. Thanks for all the suggestions! I think we have some really good books listed here. Elizabeth if you do a Bookclub for the book Eating Animals and need a list of good questions Jessica put together a good list for our group that I could send you.

I have posted our next Veg Bookclub for March 4 for the book: Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: an Introduction to Carnism. I hope everyone can make it!