Columbia Veg Message Board › Post your favorite veggie recipes here! ♡ ⓥ

Post your favorite veggie recipes here! ♡ ⓥ

Rosemary
Rosemarykt
Group Organizer
Columbia, SC
Post #: 13
Everybody, here is a spot to share your fave recipes, including those you bring to potlucks!
Donna
AmForPeace
Sumter, SC
Post #: 2
Veggie Enchiladas

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 serrano chili, diced
1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can corn
1 cup salsa
1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
juice of 1 lime
1 cup cilantro, chopped
12 corn tortillas
2 cans (about 30 ounces) red enchilada sauce

Directions:

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Heat oil in a pan. Add and saute onion, garlic, and chili pepper. Add refried beans, black beans, corn, salsa, and taco seasoning. Heat through.

2. Squeeze in the lime juice and add the cilantro. Stir to combine. Put about 1/2 cup of mixture in corn tortilla and wrap it up and place seam side down in a casserole dish.

3. Pour enchilada sauce over all the rolled tortillas and bake for about 15-20 minutes.

Makes: 4 servings, Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ross M.
user 5546183
Aiken, SC
Post #: 10
Stuffed Dates:

Fresh dates (I usually find them at EF)
Vegan cream cheese (Tofutti brand is delicious)
Walnuts
Vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
Cut open the dates and remove the seeds.
Stuff with cream cheese and then walnut.
Sprinkle with cheddar.
Enjoy........
Scott H.
user 13126307
Seattle, WA
Someone recently asked me about vegan recipe websites. these are ones I suggested...

This PETA site may be the best all-around:
http://www.peta.org/l...­

This Vegan MoFo (Month of Food of course....) has some links - a lot of vegan desserts
http://veganmofo.word...­

This site has a lot of sandwiches - maybe not as practical for a large group
http://www.huffington...­

And if you like how-to video's, can't go wrong with the Vegan Zombie!
http://theveganzombie...­
The vegan chili, cheese stix and pizza rolls all look great....

Lisa
user 12987101
Columbia, SC
Post #: 6
TOFARBEQUE!
Y'all asked, so here it is: Preparing Tofu for the Grill!

1 package of Extra Firm tofu = 8 grill strips
For the Tofarbeque, I used 3 packages/blocks of tofu

First, buy the tofu a few days ahead of time and put it in the freezer, package and all.
When you're ready to thaw it (the night before the day you want to grill it) - take it out, cut it out of the package (I use warm water to coax out the frozen block), and throw it in some boiling water until it's unfrozen all the way through (about 15 min.. more or less).

Remove the pot from the stove and discard the water. Try to squeeze some water out of the now-thawed and super-hot block of tofu using a serving utensil or something like that. Cut it into 4 equal slabs and place on paper towels or a dish towel. I use a paper towel on each side, then wrap them in a dish towel (to prevent the tofu from gathering lint from the dish towel). Put the wrapped tofu on a plate, and put a plate or cutting board on top. Put something kinda heavy on top of the plate/cutting board, like a cooking pot or toaster. Leave it for 10 minutes or so to drain as much liquid as possible. If they're still dripping wet after this, just squeeze the pieces like a sponge to get most of the water out. Cut the 4 pieces into 8 relatively equal strips.

Take the mushed/squeezed tofu and put in a marinade overnight. Everybody seemed to love the BBQ - which was Sweet Baby Ray's (a mix of the vidalia onion and spicy BBQ). The next day - they're ready to throw on the grill! Make sure you grill them until they're a little crunchy on the outside, and add extra marinade during grilling if necessary. OM NOM NOM NOM!
A former member
Hi! I just joined the group so I thought I'd share a favorite recipe. Even my non-veggie friends like it. smile

Potatoes Provencal

1 lb. red potatoes, sliced
3 tbs. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 red onions, sliced
1 tbs. sage
1 tbs. thyme
1 tsp tamari (or ½ tsp. salt)
Pepper
4 tomatoes, sliced
1 cu. black olives
1 cu. (vegan) Parmesan cheese
Parsley for garnish

Cook the potatoes until half cooked but still firm. Drain and set aside. Heat oil. Saute garlic, onion, and herbs. Remove from heat. In a bowl, mix the cooked potatoes with the onions. Season with salt and pepper.

Assemble all ingredients in a casserole dish: Place half the potatoes and onions in the bottom of the dish. Cover with half the tomatoes and olives. Top with ½ cu. Parmesan. Repeat. Bake at 350 degrees, covered with foil, for 30 min. Uncover and bake for 20 min. Garnish with parsley.

Amelia L.
user 13554720
Columbia, SC
Creamy Seitan-Noodle Bake

8 oz. pkg. noodle-style paste, uncooked
4 C. hot water
4 veggie bouillon cubes
6 T. vegan margarine
6 T. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. black pepper
3 T. parsley flakes
2 pks. seitan, cut into bite-size pieces

Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare pasta noodles according to package directions; drain. Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot water and set aside. In saucepan, melt margarine; stir in flour and seasonings. Slowly add bouillon water. Cook and stir over low heat until thickened. Add seitan and noodles, tossing gently to mix. Pour into a greased 13” x 9” x 2” pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.