Community Action Wellington Message Board › Community Action Wellington - News and Views December 2012

Community Action Wellington - News and Views December 2012

Spencer
user 13890703
Group Organizer
Wellington, NZ
Hi everyone

Merry Christmas and thank you for your support over the last year!

Community Action Wellington formed in January 2012 with a planning session in the Southern Cross and we had our first proper meetup at Baring Head on 18th Feb. Fittingly, we ended the year there with a meetup last Saturday. Robyn and Alyssa win the prize for coming to both!

It’s been fun working with such a diverse range of groups all around the Wellington region, and with such a great bunch of people (you lot!)

Baring Head is a good example of a project that we have supported, and for which the volunteer group and the regional council are really grateful. It’s also been great to be in a project at the beginning, learning about all aspects of conservation work from planting to monitoring to cliff climbing!

Although I’ve really enjoyed the conservation work, one of the biggest challenges has been trying to arrange meetups with groups that work on social issues and with more vulnerable people in the community. I’m going to try again next year to broaden the range of meetups that we can offer, as I know a lot of you would also be really keen to volunteer on issues that are not just about conservation. I’d be keen to hear from you if you have any ideas, and am also thinking about another planning evening early next year to get the ball rolling again.

In the meantime, have a great Christmas and New Year and I’ll start posting events again in January. And don’t forget, you can post events too!

All the best,

Spencer.
Caroline Emily D.
Caro.D.
Wellington, NZ
Post #: 3
Hi Spencer,

I haven't been to any of your Meetups yet - i was all ready for the recent one in Ngaio but had a stinking headache and couldn't go. However, i hope to participate next year. You say you are looking for ideas; check out BGI (Boys & Girls Institute), a not for profit community organisation that is all about youth: http://www.bgi.org.nz...­

I have been a mentor on both the Challenge for Change (9 - 13 yr olds) and Te Whakatika (17 - 20 yr olds) programmes. BGI has a lot of other opportunities for volunteering other than being a mentor, which is quite a commitment. For example there is the Link programme that gets young people involved in various community projects.

Something to check out anyway.

Have a nice Christmas!

Caroline