Complete Liberty Message Board › Mises Academy course at Cafe Libertalia

Mises Academy course at Cafe Libertalia

DonnaO
SDDonna
San Diego, CA
Hi everyone,

We're planning on offering a six-week, interactive, online course from Mises Academy, and wanted to get some preliminary info from anyone interested before posting it as a series of events. Here's all the info...

Libertarianism and Modern Philosophers, with David Gordon
A 6-week, interactive, online course, made available as a shared-cost course at Café Libertalia, 3834 5th Avenue, Hillcrest. The range of likely costs per individual is $10-$15, depending on the number of participants. Lectures will be streamed Thursdays 4:00-5:30pm Pacific time (7:00-8:30 pm EDT), and we'll be downloading and replaying the lectures on the following Mondays at Monday Mises, 7:00-8:30pm. The Thursday course will include an interactive, question and answer component.

Following is the description taken directly from the Mises Academy section of Mises.org:

Those of us who are libertarians often cannot understand why everyone else is not a libertarian too. Isn't the case for freedom easy to make and, once grasped, utterly convincing? Most contemporary moral and political philosophers think otherwise, though; they reject libertarianism and demand a more egalitarian system. This course will consider some of the leading arguments advanced against libertarianism. Do these criticisms have any validity? How should libertarians respond to them? The course will also consider important philosophical arguments raised by libertarian philosophers, e.g., Robert Nozick's defense of a minimal state and the argumentation ethics of Hans Hoppe and Frank van Dun. The non-libertarian philosophers discussed will include G.A. Cohen, John Rawls, Thomas Nagel, Ronald Dworkin, and T.M. Scanlon.

We must have enough paid participants to cover the cost of the course. Therefore, please only RSVP "yes" if you are certain you'll be participating in either the Thursday or Monday sessions. You can respond by replying to this email. Once we know the number of participants, we'll break down the cost of the course, let everyone know what their share will be and ask for payment in advance via Paypal.

If you have questions, please email me by replying to this message. I'm setting it up for replies to only come to me, not to the whole group.

I'll be looking forward to hearing from you,

Donna