Our group provides a way to meet and hear from people you would never run into otherwise. We provide a place to respectfully exchange views, and welcome any viewpoint. Members come from all over Atlanta and from all different age ranges (college to retired).
We strive to maintain respectful interesting conversation, and are more focused on learning than honing debate skills or promoting a particular agenda. It's a chance to get beyond the sound bites see things through other people's eyes.
We are a community of people that want to change the world for the better. So we gather every month to discuss the issues of the world and share ideas about possible solutions.
Some meetings we invite subject matter experts to speak and answer questions.
We welcome non-conformists, conformists, straight, gay, married, single, atheists, religious, entrepreneurs, employees, conservatives, liberals, environmentalists,anti-environmentalists, young, retired, wealthy, poor, women, men, libertarians, democrats, republicans,... You name it, we welcome the viewpoint.
This is what our members say about the Controversial Topic Book Club:
· I am a non-conformist, meaning that I try to learn the truth, and don't just necessarily go along with the consensus opinions in a group
· I like being to openly have honest discussions on topics that people feel strongly about, and are controversial
· I have an opinion about everything.. I try my best to make sure they are informed...
· I'm game for intellectual and emotional stimulation. Polite but passionate controversy
· I like to read and discuss current events with intelligent people.
· Hello, I love good conversation that makes you think about another side to a topic.
· I recently moved to the area and look forward to getting into lively discussion with informed people (regardless of whether their opinion aligns with mine)....
· Polite chit chat is a bore! :-) I'm a and lifelong learner, so I love a friendly, well-informed discussion on any topic....
· I really enjoy learning about topics of the day, many of which I have strong opinions of, but that I acknowledge, I should become more educated about.
· I've been told by a few people that I think too much, because I always have a counterpoint. I love discussing…
· I love to read and I love to discuss, so this should be fun.
· I'm thrilled to know there is a group discussing ideas versus people.
· I like meeting some people who are willing to listen to both sides instead of just yelling
· I am a bit of a news junkie and I love conversations on thought-provoking ideas.