Cycle Folsom Message Board Equipment and Tech Forum › Fenders and wet weather riding equipment

Fenders and wet weather riding equipment

Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 105
It seems the past discussions about fenders has disappeared. Since it's December 1st and this past week has poured, and this morning a motley crew of us went out and dodged some rain drops, it's time to share and discuss fenders and wet weather riding.

This morning, Rowland had a new set of newly designed SKS Raceblade Long fenders on his bike (mudguards for you Euro-fashionistas). These were totally styling, not only for is slick new Bianchi and keeping his britches dry, but also for those drafting in his wake. I have an old pair of SKS Raceblades that strap to the seat stays in the back and the forks in the front. The new Raceblades are way better in that they attach at skewers/quick releases and pass under the brake bridge for more coverage. Furthermore, they are even longer in the back, covering more of the rear wheel diminishing the dreaded rooster-tail, longer than my full SKS fenders hard-bolted to my rain bike. If I was buying a new set of fenders, I would get these for sure. Actually, they are so slick, I think I may get some for my race bike for the winter. Looks like they retail for about $60 and shouldn't be hard to find locally.

SKS­ is a German company that has been making quality bike accessories for a long time; they have been a standard mudguard designer.

Planet Bike is an American company that also makes quality fenders and usually at a more reasonable price. Their SpeedEZ Road fenders (~ $40) are a copycat of the original SKS Raceblade design. They strap onto the seat stays and forks, and also don't provide as much coverage around the rear wheel. But they're better than nothing!

If investing in a good pair of fenders that you plan to use on group rides, please consider as full of a rear fender as possible. A fender that attaches to a seat post and comes straight out or slightly curved does little to cut down the road spray for those behind you.

That's all for now. Join in on the conversation.
JoelS
user 9697513
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 493
I've used the regular raceblades. They're ok, but not enough coverage, especially for the person behind you or your feet.

I installed a set of the RaceBlade LONG fenders on my wife's bike. Excellent fender! Easily removable and plenty of coverage. Much better than the regular ones. They should fit nicely on most every race bike.
Rowland F.
rfellows
Folsom, CA
Post #: 7
I found the SKS Long Raceblades at Bicycle Planet, They're available in both black and silver. Did I mention how good they look on my new Bianchi?
Bruce N
user 19099931
Folsom, CA
Post #: 1
REI in Folsom carries both the SKS longs and the Bicycle Planet fenders. $59 for the SKS, if you are a member of the Co-Op, you get 10% rebate on the purchase in the spring