add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Cycle Folsom Message Board CF General Discussion Forum › Bike accident

Bike accident

user 3132802
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 4
Dear CF riders,

Some of you know or have ridden with one of our fellow CF riders, Greg Hamtil, and are aware of his recent bike/car accident that occurred in Auburn on Baxter Grade. This past Saturday when the accident occurred we were with several CF riders and a few other friends. Lucky for him that two of those friends are nurses and attended to him right after the accident until other medical help arrived. Once they arrived they assessed his injuries and took him by helicopter to the hospital. His injuries are severe but he is making progress everyday. Because many of his injuries were localized in the chest region, he is currently on a respirator to help him breathe. We expect that it could be a week or so before they are able to wean him off of it. Although he is heavily sedated, he does rouse briefly and attempts to smile and maintain a sense of humor. The good news is that he will make a full recovery but it
will be long, and if you know Greg you already know that he will not be happy unless he is moving his body. Personally I think he should just move his SPIN class into the pool at the gym! I even saw that they have actual bikes that are made for the pool…that might make for a happier man but unfortunately I don’t think those miles would ever count for MIBM.

In the meantime if you want to keep tabs on his progress, or post a word of encouragement, you can log on to and look him up by name. He is listed as greghamtil. No spaces. When he is can he will be able to look at this site and see the love and generosity that people have for him. I know he will he touched by the good wishes you have already sent his way.

Thanks for reading this rather long message. I will be back on my bike soon, sad without my partner and biggest cheerleader but better knowing I will be with my CF friends.

Ride safe and keep logging those miles ☺

Sherry Caruso
Stan S.
Group Organizer
Folsom, CA
Post #: 97
Friend of Greg & Sherry and CF Member Denton Conner forwarded me an e-mail he had sent to the cycling club that they all belong to in Vacaville. This will provide a bit more detail about the accident itself:

Greg Hamtil had a bad crash today and was seriously injured.

We were descending Baxter Grade in Loomis area and as he was cornering his rear wheel slid out> I was right behind him as I watched him slide out and into a pickup truck that had slowed when he saw us round the corner. Greg slid into the truck and the collision knocked him unconcious. Forturnately, Dr Andrew and Nurse Jean were with us and they took care of him until the ambulance arrived Greg was helicoptered to Sutter Roseville were he went into surgery.

Post surgery the Dr told us that they had to remove his spleen, he fractured several ribs, broke his clavicle punctured his lung in two places, broke his orbital bone near his eye and some bones in his back were fractured. He is currently on a respirator and when I left the hospital he was still out from the pain killers .

It was a very ugly scene, I can only imagine how hard it was for Sherry to watch. We were very lucky to have 2 medical professionals riding with us.

I am probably forgetting pertinent facts, but am still shaken by what I witnessed.

If you can think of anyone that should be on this email list, please forward.