addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

DC Area Drone User Group Message Board Tech Talk - Drone Electronics / Hardware / Software › Quick question about RX and APM

Quick question about RX and APM

John W.
JohnWaugh
Washington, DC
Post #: 4
Hi. I just got an RX module from eBay to add to my group build quad kit. I'm nearly there. So I have this RX, and I have the APM, and the arducopter site's wiring diagram shows how the channels from the RX plug into the APM. Now I have to assemble some multi wire connectors (is that the right term) to bridge the RX and the APM. There are three posts for each of the channels, so evidently I need to use the 3 wire connectors. My confusion is that I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram that shows these connectors, and I don't have a clue about the protocol - should I be using certain colors of wires in a certain order? Any suggestions much appreciated. After this, I think a review of my wiring and balancing of the props, and I'm ready for a test flight. I hope! Best to all. John W.
David S.
Kexler
Woodbridge, VA
Post #: 74
Hi John,

Are you checking out the wiring guide found here?

You only need to match the signal pins with the channel on the Rx. In each row, the pin closest to the edge of the APM is ground, center is voltage and inner pin is signal. So you really will only need to focus on linking the APM and Rx signal pins.

How are you powering the APM? Is it being powered by the Output rail(by the ESC's), or will you be using a UBEC from the same input rail where you are hooking in the Rx? I guess i'm asking if you have Jumper 1 pins 'jumped' or not. Since power needs to get to/from the Rx and APM, you will need to make sure one of of the rows has the voltage and ground going between APM and Rx.

My setup has the APM powering off the input rail, therefore Jumper 1 is not connected. I have a UBEC going from my power distribution into the Rx, which then powers the APM. I was using servo cables between the APM and the Rx but it really is overkill. Now I have female ended jumper cables between the APM and the Rx and a set of cables providing power on row 8.