addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

DC Atheists Meetup Message Board › Perhaps I should apologize...(part II)

Perhaps I should apologize...(part II)

Richard A.
According to www.webster.com, faith is belief in the unproven, and superstition is belief in the disproven. I don't argue that God is disproven, I argue that God is undefined. I do, however, argue that creationism and many other religious notions are disproven. [[[And I argue that we allow them to set the stage and write the script; if there is no proof, un or dis, it is superstition, by definition, unless it moves over to opinion and that move is a desirable one.]]]
[[[SUPERSTITION:
1 a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation b : an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition
2 : a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary
FAITH:
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs
BELIEF:
1 : a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing
2 : something believed; especially : a tenet or body of tenets held by a group
3 : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence
synonyms BELIEF, FAITH, CREDENCE, CREDIT mean assent to the truth of something offered for acceptance. BELIEF may or may not imply certitude in the believer . FAITH almost always implies certitude even where there is no evidence or proof . CREDENCE suggests intellectual assent without implying anything about grounds for assent <a>.]]]

As you point out Ricard, when you ask people to consider if they are thinking something exists more than evidence and logic demonstrates, they are forced to look at their wishful thinking as perhaps just that. ... while superstition is the best overall term, we might want to have others in readiness for communications sake. For example, sometimes when people say "faith" they really mean wishful thinking, by prayer they mean magical hope, etc....Hopefully we don't confuse fantasy with reality! [[[Precisely the point. "Superstition" has become disreputable and carries emotional baggage that the other words do not. I suggest that we can get our point across more effectively by framing the argument with superstition and rarely using other referential words."Magic" and "fantasy" have some value in entertainment, "superstition" is not thusly regarded.]]]

As you probably know, I could go on and on and on, but being a working stiff hinders that - did I hear someone say "Thank God!" - Richard</a>