DC Atheists Meetup Message Board › Norm's Partisan views not wanted, not asked for, nor is it prudent for the o

Norm's Partisan views not wanted, not asked for, nor is it prudent for the organizers of this group to approve his partisan politics

A former member
Post #: 94
This is PARTISAN & UnAcceptable....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Norm
> Date: Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:28 PM
> Subject: [atheists-27] Palin
> To: atheists-27@meetup.com
>
>
>
> A vote not for Obama is a vote for Palin.
>
> Let's face it folks. The only reason Palin is on the ticket is
> because the ultra conservatives forced McCain to select her.
> McCain's health is poor and becoming incapacitated w hile in
> office is just what the ultra conservatives want. If that
> happens, we will have another four years of someone actually
> worse than Bush. Her religious fundamentalism will take control
> of her actions.
>
> If you are thinking of voting for McCain, you don't understand
> the severity of the danger of Theocracy in this county.
>
> If you are thinking of voting for someone other than McCain or
> Obama, you are taking away a vote from Obama which means that
> you are actually voting for McCain. Anyone giving their vote
> to McCain in this way means that they don't care what happens
> to the future of this country. They only care about their own
> idealism and in their conceit, they will certainly guarantee
> that their ideals will never become popular. The point is to
> keep our country free. Religious Fundamentalism will take away
> that freedom. The bott om line is that if you vote for anyone
> except Obama, you are voting for a Religious Fundamentalist
> Administration which will be worst then the previous
> Administration.
>
> Keep in mind that if you voted for someone other than Kerry and
> Gore, then you contributed the problems that this country is
> facing today. That not only makes you at fault, but some would
> question your allegiance to the U.S. Constitution. So if you
> think that you are going to do it again then this time take
> responsibility for your actions.
>
> I don't like the choices either, but I am more concern about
> our freedoms than I am about my own political ideals.
Kurt
Kurt
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 6
Atheists have no party, and I have not known very many atheists to hold any subject as per se taboo. Is politics a taboo subject for this atheist board?
A former member
Post #: 4
While I certainly agree with you, Jeff, that such messages should not be sent out to the entire group, I don't think there is a problem with putting them on the message board like this. Message board topics clearly belong to individuals. The problem comes when the authority of the group itself is put behind such a message, as it is when sent out on the mailing list.
A former member
Post #: 40
The possibility of having a fundamentalist christian in a position of power, particularly one heartbeat away from the presidency, is certainly an appropriate topic for discussion here. There can be no censorship, but the organizer may act as moderator when a posting is personally abusive or offensive.

Therefore I would suggest simply ignoring postings that do not stimulate or add to logical discussions, but merely state a particular narrow point of view or course of action.
Walter
user 7630841
Hyattsville, MD
Post #: 4
All,

As a relatively new and infrequent attendee, but a very long time atheist, I think the outcome to us all Palin as Vice-President, who might very likely shortly become president, is an such an important and frightening issue, that it transcends any decorum gained by trying to avoid "partisanism."

I read Norm's points and I don't see his warnings as based on Republican or Democratic party issues, but on the outcome of ending up with a president who in her behavior represents some of the worst traits of religion as a cover for both ambition and self-serving delusion. It goes way beyond reversing Roe vs Wade, prayer in schools, creationism being taught as equal to evolution, etc. Allowing such vast power and influence to be used by such an unprincipled and addled person (and I'm not talking about McCain) is near suicidal.

So to not consider each others thoughts on something this important to our futures would be tantamount to suicide by censorship.

Enough for now, but these are dangerous times.

Walter
A former member
Post #: 1
I totally agree with Walter. The prospect of a fundie in any kind of political authority is repugnant. This is certainly a topic worthy of discussion.