The Cranberry Wilderness is a beautiful, secluded area of West Virginia's southern Monongahela National Forest. Join us for a three day hike through scenic forests and along streams. We'll be covering a 27 mile loop over terrain that ranges from 2400 ft to 4400 ft above sea level. The campsite on our second night will be near a waterfall.
We'll be hiking about 9 miles per day with some elevation change. Though the terrain is moderate, this trip is meant for experienced backpackers only.
We're going to meet for carpool at the Vienna Metro (North) at 8:15am. The drive is about 4:45 hours long, so please be on time. If no one has called by 8:30, we'll be on the road. There's a place near the metro where cars can be safely parked for three days.
If you'd prefer to drive directly to the trailhead, meet us there at 1:30pm.
I'll send out more information to the participants before the trip. This will include directions, a trail map, and my cell phone number.
When you RSVP, please let me know if you can drive or need a ride, what gear you have (tent, stove, water filter, etc), and if you're planning on bringing a dog. Please make sure your dog has frontline plus or an equivalent to ward off ticks.
If something comes up, please update your RSVP. Other people might want to go.
Make sure you bring your own food. Temperatures might get below 30 degrees F at night.
- Backpack with shoulder straps and hip belt. We'll be carrying all of our gear throughout the trip.
- Sleeping bag. A 20 degree bag will be fine.
- Sleeping pad
- Hiking boots: sneakers or trail shoes are not adequate!
- At least two quarts of water
- Rain jacket and pants or poncho
- A fleece or another jacket for warmth
- Hat and gloves
- Headlamp / flashlight
- Your own food (2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners)
- Your own cooking pot, utensils
- Bag for food and soaps that can be hung from a tree (bear bag)
- Bug spray
- Sun block
- Little bit of t.p.
- Foot care stuff
- An extra shirt and pants. Synthetic clothes are better than cotton.
- Extra socks
I recommend putting your spare clothes, food, and anything else you don't want to get wet inside of large ziplock bags within your pack.
- Have a ride: Please post where you are coming from, what time, and how many spots you have.
- Need a ride: Post that you need a ride and contact any offers via e-mail for those that are offering rides.
Hope you can join us!