Join us for a two night backpacking trip in one of the most scenic and unique areas of West Virginia. Once you experience the climate and see the plant life, you'll feel as if you're in Canada (minus the hockey). This trip is for intermediate to experienced backpackers. It is not for beginners. We'll be hiking 24 miles over the course of three days. There will be a fair amount of elevation change. Yes, we're long overdue for a trip. I sprained my ankle pretty badly this summer. Feeling good now.
We're going to meet for carpool at the Vienna Metro (North) at 8:30 AM on Saturday morning. We'll wait there for a maximum of 15 minutes. There's a place near the metro where cars can be safely parked for three days.
If you'd prefer to drive directly to the trailhead, meet us there at 1 PM. The drive will take about 3.5 hours.
I'll send out more information to the participants before the trip. This will include directions, a trail map, my cell phone number, and more info about how to find us at the Vienna Metro.
When you RSVP, please let me know if you can drive or need a ride, what gear you have (tent, stove, water filter, etc), and if you're planning on bringing a dog. Please make sure your dog has frontline plus or an equivalent to ward off ticks.
If something comes up, please update your RSVP. Other people might want to go.
Make sure you bring your own food.
- Backpack with shoulder straps and hip belt. We'll be carrying all of our gear throughout the trip.
- Sleeping bag. A 20 degree bag will be fine.
- Sleeping pad
- Hiking boots: sneakers or trail shoes are not adequate!
- At least two quarts of water
- Rain jacket and pants or poncho
- A fleece or another jacket for warmth
- Hat, gloves
- Headlamp / flashlight
- Your own food (two breakfasts, three lunches, two dinners)
- Your own cooking pot, utensils
- Bag for food and soaps that can be hung from a tree (bear bag)
- Bug spray
- Sun block
- Little bit of t.p.
- Foot care stuff
- An extra shirt and pants. Synthetic clothes are better than cotton.
- Extra socks
I recommend putting your spare clothes, food, and anything else you don't want to get wet inside of large ziplock bags within your pack.
- A little liquor never hurt...
- Sandals or water shoes - we'll be crossing streams a few times
- Have a ride: Please post where you are coming from, what time, and how many spots you have.
- Need a ride: Post that you need a ride and contact any offers via e-mail for those that are offering rides.
Hope you can join us!