Geoffrey L. B.
user 13777253
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Hello fellow Atom Mashers!

Thank You all for joining- I am pleased that we are up to 65 members here in DC. I've looked through all your profiles and it looks like we have an interesting mix of people here!

I am also pleased to say that we are not alone- there are currently four other groups in North America like us, two in Silicon Valley (SF Hardware Startup and Solid State Startups), one in New York City, and one in Toronto­. All are less than 14 months old, and the East Coast ones are all at most about a month old, so this truly a spontaneously growing movement.

I have already been in contact with all but one of the other groups. We all agree that there is something larger than any single regional meetup group. Nick Pinkston, the founder of the SF Hardware Startup meetup, put together a few resources for the entire community as a seedling for a larger community:

Reddit: ­http://www.reddit.com...­

Twitter ('bot feed from Reddit): @HWStartups­

Hardware Overflow prototype site: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/42563­

Based on feedback from the other founders on their first meetups, I think the best way for us to kickoff is with a networking / get-to-know-ya event. After a short introductory speech, we would have a few local hardware startups present their projects (a couple minutes each), followed by general networking. If you have any hardware projects, this would be a good time to show it off! The venue is TBD (I have ideas but am open to suggestions) but since we are a civilized bunch it should be one that serves beer. Future meetups will have talks, some in-person and some skyped-in, based on different topics faced by hardware startups.

Please contact me if you would like to speak at the first meetup, or have suggestions for a good venue. Also please let me know if you would like to help out as an organizer to this meetup- I cannot do it all alone!

I look forward to meeting all of you.

Geof