addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The DC/NoVa Gamer's Guild Message Board › Minimal Combat Game near Rockville, MD ?

Minimal Combat Game near Rockville, MD ?

ppa2
ppa2
Rockville, MD
Post #: 40
Hello everybody,

Are there any players or DMs out there has the same preferences as me ?

My kind of game is where combat is de-emphasized because it usually takes too long and tends to get routine. Ideally there would be little or no combat. The characters would not be strong in combat and rely on other ways to deal with situations. This would necessitate teamwork and collaboration.

What I have observed about combatis this: I have played under 2 or 3 different DMs and have found that combat takes too long out of the game time (even when players have decided what their action will be before their turn comes up). After you finish all the rounds, initiatives, and attack & counterattacks, you find that roughly an hour has passed. Add to that the identifying items, splitting up the loot, and selling the items, you find that a sizable chunk of gaming time has been swallowed up. Also, all the combat stuff tend to be routine tasks; you are doing pretty much similar things in each combat encounter. In my opinion, routine isn't really adventure. Also, each player has their own set of weapons or their own set of spells, and pretty much does his or her own thing during the combat; there is little or no teamwork.

People has said that I should be looking at other gaming systems. I am open to other gaming systems. It's just that I have experience in D&D. Also, I am an older player.